The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Install Windows 7 over vista.

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by paulf22
  • Latest reply from Rott22
  • Topic Viewed 15942 times

paulf22

I have dual booted windows 7 on my preinstalled Vista HP Pavilion laptop. Window 7 is on the second hard drive on my computer. I found i really like Windows 7 but i did not make its partition large enough. I want to get rid of windows 7 on my second drive and install it over Vista on my primary drive. What steps do i need to take to do this? My only concern is when the windows 7 license runs out. I have a recovery drive partition for Vista on my primary hard drive. Can i use this to return my computer to factory settings even after i install Windows 7.

Posted 5 years ago

AlanMcC

Windows 7 is not supported as an upgrade option to windows Vista. It will not upgrade out of the box.

It can although be done but this is fact and not recommendation so take be aware. This also has some weird affects on other programs during upgrade. You have been warned

http://lifehacker.com/5240931/.....ndows-7-rc

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 5 years ago

Rott22

Dude, Seven DOES upgrade from vista, unless you have like 32bit vista and try to upgrade to 64 bit Seven, thats the only prob youll run into, and it WILL upgrade out of the box, at least the RC does, dont know abiyt the betas though, and the upgrade will keep your files and programs, I had to reinstall a couple (modo 302 and the antivirus for the 32 bit version) just pop in your 7DVD and run setup. It will take longer than a clean install but it WILL upgrade.

Posted 5 years ago

Rott22

I think you meant XP has not a direct upgrade path to 7.. anyway doublecheck before posting dont disinform people man

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Yes, an upgrade from Vista to Win7 RC is supported. However, an upgrade from Win7 RC to Win7 RTM is *not* supported. So, when OP's license for Win7 RC runs out, there is no officially supported upgrade path to Win7 RTM.

Please correct me if I'm disinforming.

Posted 5 years ago

Rott22

hmm I´m sure people will find the way if you know what im talking about ;)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.