The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) Install win 7 on a newly built computer

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by wiiboy11
  • Latest reply from wiiboy11
  • Topic Viewed 1343 times

wiiboy11

hi. i just finished building a new computer and setting up its bios. i was wondering if i would be able to install windows 7 RC on the desktop as its first OS. also if i can, is there anything i need to do before just throwing in the install cd. im not exactly a comp pro so if anything here sounds ridiculous, dont be harsh lol.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

wiiboy11, there should be no problem installing Windows 7 RC as the first OS. There is no Win7 dependency on a previous version of Windows. Provided that device drivers can be found that will handle all of your hardware, it should all be fine.

Keep in mind that MS will stop downloads of Windows 7 RC on August 20th, so get it soon if you plan to go ahead with this. Also, in March of 2010 Win7 RC will begin shutting down every 2 hours, so you will want to arrange for a more permanent OS by then.

Posted 5 years ago

wiiboy11

alright thanks for the advice ScottW. and yea my plan was to try out Windows 7, then decided whether i liked it or not and then wipe and install XP or get a permanent version of 7.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

OK, let us know if you have any trouble finding device drivers. Someone here may be able to help you.

Posted 5 years ago

wiiboy11

not sure if this is something with drivers or not, but im having trouble now installing 7. Whenever i boot the cd, it starts the install fine, and then does everything it says it should. then it says that it needs to restart to continue. now here is where things get awry. after i restart, it will ask me to boot the cd if i want to ( just like it did before i tried installing). after i boot it again, it seems like its doing everything over again. after i get to the part where i choose where to install windows again, it now has 11.1 GB of space used up on my "Disk 0 Partition 1" , and when i go to install windows on that drive, it has a popup saying " The partition you selected might contain files from a previous windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previous version of Windows." I cant exactly remember if it was there before or not, but now there is also a Disk 0 Unallocated Space with Total size 100.0 mb (same for the free space ). Not sure if that last part matters but im just throwing it out there. At this point though im completely lost.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

On the second time through, you should *not* boot from the install disc. The first stage of the install copies files to the hard drive and then restarts in order to boot from the hard drive.

My advice would be to start over. Boot from the Windows 7 install disc, then stop at "Drive Options (advanced)" and delete the existing 11.1 GB partition, if it's still there. Then create a new partition for Windows 7 of the size of your choosing to install to and continue. When it restarts, do NOT press a key to boot from CD/DVD.

EDIT: The Vista install guide at Black Viper's is close enough to Win7. After step 12, let the system boot from the hard drive, not the CD/DVD drive.

Posted 5 years ago

wiiboy11

w00t thanks for the help on that. i now have it installed and working! sadly tho i have another issue :( . every time i start up my computer it takes a while to say its detecting all these things.. then it says " cpu fan error. hit f1 to resume". im almost positive i know why this is happening. because the heatsink i used doesnt have a cpu_fan connector, just a PWR connector. so far everything has worked fine, and my cpu hasnt had any drastic temperatures (max so far has been 38 C/100 F). however, i need to know how to stop this from coming up every time i start up my computer. also if not having a cpu_fan connector for my cpu fan is very bad or not and if i need to replace it with one that does.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Well, it's certainly not ideal but if you are stuck with it the risk is not too terrible. Most modern CPUs will perform a thermal shutdown if they start to overheat. For example, if that fan stops running, you would probably get a blue screen (BSOD) and be unable to boot until it cools down.

As for the warning, I'm guessing it is coming from the BIOS, so check in the BIOS menus to see if the CPU Fan RPM option can be disabled.

Posted 5 years ago

wiiboy11

Alright I'll keep that in mind Scott. And thanks also, the bios tip worked. Now I can say my new comp runs like it should.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.