The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Install Vista sidebar in Win7

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 3417 times

whs

In Win7, they got away with the sidebar and you can install your gadgets anywhere on the desktop. Problem is, that they are not "always on top" or they collide with the pages you pull up. There is an easy way to transplant the Vista sidebar to Win 7 (if you still have a Vista system around). I used this procesure, but I am sure there are others around.
Once you`re done, I suggest you put the shortcut of the newly aquired sidebar.exe on the desktop (get it from C: > Programs > Wndows Sidebar) and drag it into the startup folder (type SHELL:STARTUP into the start/search field and hit Enter). Else, you have to start the gadget manually after each reboot.

BTW: I am a big fan of the AppLauncher in the sidebar. If you cannot find it any more (seems to have disappeared from the web) I have uploaded the installation.exe here.

Posted 5 years ago

mikehunt

WHS, i don't believe you ! Some people are never satisfied are they LOL ! Over the last few years i've listened to people going on and on whinging about this crappy piece of beep! what microsoft brought out called Vista and you then get THE ONE AND ONLY SUPER 7 , and whats the first thing you do, tell us all that you want Vista features back ! ROLF & LMFAO !

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Well Roger, for one I am a big Vista fan. And then I think the sidebar is a very useful feature. I like to see my CPU Meter at all times, and my slideshow and especially the AppLauncher with which I launch most of my programs and folders. Hard to get away from the good stuff.
BtW: Try the "Windows Live Movie Maker" of Win7 - then you will be glad if I told you how to get your Vista WMM back. LOL.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

hey WHS, thank or this, i havent yet had the problem of the gadgets colliding, but will keep it in mind.
thanks for the app launcher, does this work on WIn7? been looking for that.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

For the AppLauncher you do need the sidebar. One of the main reasons I transplanted it.
PS: the gadget don`t "collide", but they disappear behind the pages.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

aaaah bummer, well i downloaded it anyway will keep it if i decide to use the vista sidebar, thanks.
you saying that your sidebar in vista is always displayed even if you open up a page? hmmm, how do you do that? i never knew it was possible.
see i learn something everyday :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Go to Properties (after right click on the sidebar) and check "always on top". There you can also check " start sidebar when windows starts" - if you don`t want to put the shortcut into the startup folder like I usually do.

Posted 5 years ago

at0mic

i 100% agree with whs about vista, there is absolutely nothing wrong or has there ever been anything wrong with vista other than big mouth bloggers and their mindless followers that believe everything they were told. and by the way xp died
just thought i'd throw that in...

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

hey WHS i found a app launcher gadget for Win7, it works great...... here the link if anyone wants to try it,

http://gallery.live.com/result.....=5&c=0

second row app launcher V3

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Great find. I kept mine and uploaded it to Skydrive in case someone needed it. For the longest time I was unable to find it on the web.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.