The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Install Ubuntu on Raid0

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by LinearMode
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 8091 times

LinearMode

I have vista installed and trying to install Ubuntu for dual-boot on raid0. My problem is that ubuntu detects the 2 individual drives instead of the raid. I've search for guides, but being completely new to linux, I get lost in the middle of the guides and kinda require one thats made for a complete dummy. any help would be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Where is the RAID partition defined? Is this using the motherboard raid controller?

Posted 5 years ago

LinearMode

i'm not exactly sure because i had someone else build my computer for me, is there a way to check how its defined?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

LinearMode, see this article at the Ubuntu Community Docs for how to install Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows using an integrated motherboard RAID controller:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@The Geek,

Suggest ScottW's Link becomes a "Sticky Post" as Topic frequently comes up in main forum questions.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

LinearMode

scottw, i've tried following that article, thats actually the one I get lost with. i've had such problems attempting what they suggest that i don't even know where to begin telling you. is that the only guide you know of?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

LinearMode, that is the only guide that I know of. I have not used it, but it's really long and looks like a daunting task.

I would recommend the Wubi Installer, but it does not support RAID 0 yet. That feature is planned for the v8.1 release.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Software%20raid%20arrays

Posted 5 years ago

LinearMode

scottw, that looks like a much easier way to install ubuntu! 8.1 is right around the corner and i dont mind the small wait. thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

LinearMode, you're welcome. I keep hearing that v8.1 is coming soon. I see that Ubuntu 8.1 is scheduled for release on 30 Oct 2008, which is two days from now. Does anyone know how long after that will the Wubi Installer be updated?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!