How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Install Ubuntu 8.10 on Raid0 Configured laptop with Vista Premium installed

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by StevePaul
  • Latest reply from StevePaul
  • Topic Viewed 6464 times

StevePaul
StevePaul

About a month ago I tried to install 8.04 to my laptop (Dell Ipnspiron 1721 with Raid0 and Vista Premium)with no amount of hassle !!
As I said at the time, I would try again when 8.10 was issued (with supposed support for 8.10.
Well I'm at that point where I want to try again, but am asking the questions before I start this time !!
I've read that there are 2 options ...
Use the Alternative CD (with no problems) or the Live CD where you have to do a lot of command line entry.
I'd prefer to do option 1, those that saw my last posts know I'm ho techkie !!
Anyone done it or have any suggestions
Raphoenix and ScottW are you alive and well ???

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

StevePaul,

Yes; doing OK.
I'm still not sure that 8.10 will install properly on a Fake-raid 0 configuration.
Promised everyone that would try it out and evaluate 8.10 two weeks ago but as yet, haven't got to it yet. (LOL)
Yesterday, experimented on how scripting can still exploit browser holes and it DOES.
Maybe ScottW or Jack has installed 8.10 and will post abit later.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Thamks Raphoenix, nice to hear your dulcid tones and to know you're doin OK ...
Wiil wait to what the others have to say ...

Regards Steve P

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

StevePaul, hello again! I am still alive and very well, thank you for asking. How are you?

I do not have a fakeRAID setup of my own to test out Ubuntu 8.10 on. I was hoping to find evidence of others having success with this combination so that I could respond to requests, such as yours, with examples of successes. Unfortunately, I have not found any such examples, so I am also still waiting to hear if anyone has gotten it to work. As it appears that you have been reading the FakeRAID HowTo Wiki, you already know what a messy procedure it is.

Another question that I have not heard answered is if using the Wubi Installer with Ubuntu 8.10 will allow folks running fake RAIDs to install Ubuntu under Windows and if there are any drawbacks to the procedure.

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

ScottW ... Nice to hear your still alive and well ...
Yeh, I've made sure I've asked the right questions this time (so I get the right answers !)
Was hoping you guys had alreasy 'dipped your toes in the water' on this one.
Not to worry, the Alternative CD install looks pretty straightforward, certainly a lot easier than doing it from the Live CD.
If nobody comes back with any bad vibes, I'm going to give it a go at the weekend, just as soon as I get my laptop back of the kids (school project time).
If anyone does know of any problems, can you post it here before I venture forth at the weekend !!
Will make a change for me to have done something before you and Raphoenix (about time I hear someone shout !!)

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

well i am currently running 8.01 on 2 machines but i don't have raid on either of them but i do seem to like 8.01 better though.

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Shouldn't that be 8.10 ?

Anyway while I’m waiting for my kids to return my laptop …

Specifically for Raphoenix and ScottW (my adopted mentors) ...
Don’t know of this is the place to ask (you’ll put me right if it isn’t) but as I’ve started this Ubuntu thread I thought I’d ask any way ...

I’ve obviously read quite a bit about the Ubuntu vs Vista debate and that is why I’m trying to install the damn thing on my laptop in the first place (to see for myself).

From what I’ve read I’m looking forward to quite a few of the features in Ubuntu, (e.g. Evolution, IM, Firefox, etc), in particular the Recommended Software.

As you have probably gathered by now, I’m not a techkie but do consider myself to be a bit of an Office ‘Power’ user (Excel, PowerPoint and Word in particular) and not too bad with Windows (Vista or otherwise), I also like to dabble with free Open Source software (normally endeavouring to find a solution to a particular problem).

I’ve already got OpenOffice installed on my machine, as I needed a database application and wasn’t gonna pay for an upgrade to get Access.

As a semi retired Project Manager, I also need something that was pretty close to MSP, without having to pay the earth!! (Unfortunately my previous employers weren’t prepared to subsidise the expense, even though I did do some work for them!)

I eventually found OpenProj, which I think is really good (it is for me anyway); especially the fact that you can open native MSP files with it.

Anyway, after that little preamble, the question is which do you two Gurus prefer/use and why...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

yes i am using 8.10 thx for catching my mistake =/

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

StevePaul,

Know (EXACTLY) where you are coming from. As the previous owner of a Construction and Engineering Management Company, every job we did (Totally Relied) on MS PROJECT. One does not hear the phrase "On Time and On Budget" very often anymore but we "lived and died" by the Project Schedules. (lol) (lol) Still have MS Project and Old Project Files plus CAD Drawings Archived on the network for liability purposes. If something falls down, I sure don't want to be in court without records. (lol) (lol)
Haven't tried (OpenProj) but it would be one of the (First) Programs I would load on a machine if I converted over totally to Linux. Went to the site, looked at the program features and they appear very good.
Having a pretty theme on a computer is nice, however making money actually using software is so; so much better.
I Recommend Install It !!!!
BTW: Just a reminder; ensure your plotters and printers work well with Linux. You know how large the charts and print outs can get on a big job !!!!
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Raphoenix
Thanks for your comments ...
I had OpenProj for exactly the same reason, surprising the amount of calls for advice you get when you leave a company !!!
As for printers, I've got an old HP PSC1350 that Vista doesn't support the scanning on, so Linux can only be a bonus (unless of course it doesn't support it!!)
I take it from the 'jist' of your comments you've got a dual boot scenario ...
Anyway looking to install 8.10 over the weekend (if the kids let me have my laptop back !!), I'll let you know how it goes ...
Need to get on the Vista forum now, having a problem running ChkDsk on a friends machine ...
Regards Steve P

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

StevePaul, I use Windows on my systems, not because I don't like Linux but more because I'm used to it and it does everything that I need. On the systems that came with XP, I run XP. On my most recent system that came with Vista, I run Vista. I have used Linux before, but always in conjunction with Windows on the same system. At work, I used Fedora Core and RHEL because it was required; but these were run in a virtual machine on a Windows host OS. The reason was that there were Windows-exclusive programs that were needed -- Lotus Notes, MS Office, MS Project, etc.

I have tried Ubuntu for the fun of it, but I don't use it to get things done. I have sooo much history with Windows and Windows-based applications that I don't think I could completely switch to any Linux anytime soon. There are programs that I have paid for that only run in Windows and there are so many freeware utilities that I use. Also, I love the selection of software that is available for Windows, both paid and freeware. It's so nice to go to download.com and search for a utility that I need. The catalog of Windows programs is so broad and deep. Also, most of the video editing tools that I use -- many I learned about at videohelp.com -- are Windows only.

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Been having a think about my Raid0 and Ubuntu (still waiting for my laptop back!)...
As Raid0 is supposedly all about performance, and not redundancy,(not that you'd notice with Vista !!) and if you have a disk failure you're back to your trusty back up anyway, I'm contemplating a clean install of Vista (first)but not configuring my Inspiron 1721 with Raid.
Logic(I think)then says I could have one disk for Vista and the other for Ubuntu (especially as Ubuntu and raid is a nightmare!!).
Anyone got any thoughts on this approack ?

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

ScottW ...
As always thanks for your input ...
I'm like you, after my mainframe days I was brought up on Windows and it's only because I've used things like OpenOffice and OpenProj that I thought I'd have a 'dabble' with Ubuntu.
The fact that I had problems installing it to a Raid configuration has only made me more 'bloody minded'to install it and see what it has to offer ...
Again like you, I've acquired quite a few utilities that I would be hard pressed to do without now !!
As I said in my previous post (sorry I missed yours - had HTG open before you posted !!)looking to do away with Raid on my machine unless someone comes up with a good reason to keep it !!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

StevePaul,
This is the way I (personally) look at the issue.
-------------------
Laptops are Specific Purpose Machines.
They are made for Mobile Computing, have a Small Foot Print and for the most part; Limited in Configuration Possibilities by their OEM Proprietary Manufacturers.
If I were to purchase a Laptop, I would run it as manufactured with the O/S which came with it.
-------------------
Keeping the above in mind, if one wants to experiment with raid, multi-booting, multi-O/Ses, etc.; I suggest Building a Non-Mobile, Non-Specific Purpose, Non-proprietary, Custom Machine which can be Configured as One Wishes.
These type of machines are what my network consist of so my Trade-off is Giving up Mobility for Versatility.
-------------------
BTW: If want to go mobile and am not in college or school, I would opt for a Backberry or Iphone.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, that's a great idea! You are certainly not obligated to run your hard drives in a RAID array. I have seen the speed-up from RAID 0, and it's not all that great. At least, it doesn't make that much of an impact running XP.

What might actually provide a faster experience is having the OS files and your user files on separate drives. That way, there is (hopefully) less head seeking. Of course, it would take a little forethought to set this up. If you had Vista on drive A and Ubuntu on drive B, you would keep Vista's data files on a second partition on B and Ubuntu's data files on a second partition on A.

Also, you double your storage space! You would also need to rethink your backup strategy. For me, keeping offline backups every week or so is plenty. I have no files that require the immediacy of restoring that a RAID mirror provides.

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Gents as always thanks for your comments ...
For info ...
I spoke to a nice man from Dell this morning (I think he was in India !)and the main reason for RAID on my Inspiron is for Performance (Vista related ? but he wouldn't comment on that !)there's absolutely no reason to reformat without RAID.
So I think I'm gonna 'grasp the nettle' and do it ...
RAID0, as I see it, apart from performance issues doesn't really give you anything (Am I wrong ?)...
It's not like true Raid where you get redundancy and have something to fall back to if you have a disk crash, it only 'stripes' the disks so you actually have all your disk space available ...
Anyway the weekend is fast approaching so will give you an update on my experiences next week ...
The order of doing things will be
Backup Everything !!!!!!!
Attempt to Install Ubuntu 8.10 (Alternate CD)to RAID configuration !!
Depending on how that goes ...
Reformat without RAID
Reinstall Vista
Install Ubuntu 8.10 (Live CD
Have a well earned rest (and a few beers) !!!
Catch up with you later ...

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

StevePaul,

I see a "train wreck" coming here because of in-consistent opinions but one is free to configure and run their own machines as they wish.

Have a nice weekend.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

StevePaul
StevePaul

Raphoenix,

Just like to see what people think, always interesting to see other peoples opinions and experiences

Had a bad experience (as you know)trying to install 8.04, but learned so much about Vista, Ubuntu and operating systems in general, including hardware configuration that (not being a techkie)I had alwways taken for granted.

Ultimately, when all things have been taken into consideration, I'll probably still end up with my originally delivered Dell Inspiron 1721, with RAID0 configuration and Vista Premium.

However if I hadn't tried to install Ubuntu I wouldn't have had the pleasure of conversing with you and ScottW ....

As a Boss of mine once said 'Out of adversity comes opportunity' ...

Best Regards

Catch up with you later ...

Steve P

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

StevePaul,
I understand. Your boss was correct.
I'll use words like "train wreck" in my postings to get folks to Pre-plan and Think before they set out on an adventure.
Works wonders in the long run. :) :)
As I said; you and yours have a very nice weekend.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:) :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, your understanding of RAID 0 is correct. It's only about performance and gains you nothing else. In fact, you lose some reliability because if either drive fails, all data is lost. Given drive failure rates, putting two drives together in a RAID 0 makes the statistical likelihood of failure greater. I also don't understand the design point of putting two drives in a laptop in a RAID set. Laptops sometimes use 5400 RPM drives to reduce the power drawn and the heat produced. However, 5400 RPM drives are slower so you lose a little performance. Putting two 5400 RPM drives in a laptop will increase the performance, but it will double the power draw and greatly increase heat production. A single 7200 RPM drive would seem a better trade-off to me, but I haven't done the comparison.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.