The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Info regarding Laptop with wireless card

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by WeBJamming
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1408 times

WeBJamming

We just bought our daughter a laptop for Christmas with a Netguard Rangemax Next wireless card. She does not have an ISP provider. Does she need a router if she has no iternet connection? Otherwise, she can pick up in WiFi locations, is that correct? Please respond, anyone...help!!

Posted 6 years ago

Santo

I think you are talking about Netgear wireless card. Using this card your daughter will be able to connect to the same ISP in your home. For that you should have a wireless router. This card does not work in WiFi locations. In simple words, this card is to access internet with out any cable from the same ISP. Check the links given below

http://www.netgear.com/Product.....pters.aspx

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/.....701,00.asp

Posted 6 years ago

WeBJamming

So what is necessary to access WiFi locations?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

If it is the WN511B card, its main protocol is N (to communicate with a "N" router). It is, however, downward compatible with 802.11g and should work with any WiFi. You should not need anything else. - Nice card for fast communication, but you need an N-router to make full use of it's N-capabilities.

Posted 6 years ago

WeBJamming

Thank you so much! It is, in fact the WN511Bcard but with 802.11n.
Does that mean since is has the n,not the g, that it won't work in WiFi locations? Is it necessary to get the Netguard Rangemax Next router if she does not have an ISP provider? I was thinking (dumb of me!) that if she had a wireless network card, she could pick up networks basically anywhere and use them to get access online. Is there anything that can be used to faccillate this without a monthly ISP plan?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You want to read this

http://www.netgear.co.uk/range.....wn511b.php

It will work on "N" AND "G" (which is WiFi)

Posted 6 years ago

WeBJamming

OK...thankyou. One more question please...I will also need internet connection through cable or phoneline as well, correct? This system is entirely different than the wireless card that you pay a monthly fee for..correct or not?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hi, Go to your Telephone company (landline not cellphone) and ask for DSL support (I would stay away from Cable). Take a middle offering (not the cheapest but also not the most expensive). They will send you a Modem to which you can attach the PC or a router (in your case you want to get a Netgear N-Router - about $100) if you want to be untethered - i.e work with the Notebook in different parts of the house. I don't know in which neck of the woods you are, but at ATT the DSL support runs between $20 to $30 a month. Ask for promotional offerings.
Two more things: The DSL stuff comes with little filters that they ask you to install at each telephone outlet. Ask the Telephone company to install a central filter instead and a double outlet (where you install the PC or router) so that you have a seperate plug-ins for the phone and the PC.
And secondly - before you go on the internet make sure you have a good security suite. Chances are that the laptop came with a three month trial of Norton or McAfee. Make sure you get this going. After 3 months you can still decide what to use permanently. I recommend Kaspersky or BitDefender. But Norton and McAfee are OK too - just a little heavy handed. Have fun, don't hesitate to ask further questions if you are not sure. That's what the blog is all about - the innocent helping the less innocent. WHS

Posted 6 years ago

WeBJamming

I truly appreciate all your help. I'll make sure the security is in place. Thanks and have a great New year!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hi, Just one more thing since I did not respond to your "card" question earlier. There are, I believe, plans where you can connect thru the cell phone towers in any place where cellphones work (in the park, on the beach, etc.). These plans use e.g. cards - but I really do not know much about them. Maybe you can ask your cell phone service provider.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

> "This system is entirely different than the wireless card that you pay a monthly fee for..correct or not?"
What do you mean by that? You don't pay a monthly fee for a wireless card.
You can pay a monthly fee for internet service to a Internet Service Provider (ISP) and to access it from a wireless card, you have two options:
1. You get a wireless router, connect it to the ISP's modem and configure other wireless router settings needed. Some ISP's will give you a wireless router and configure it for you as part of the setup package.
2. Your ISP is a service where you connect to their wireless router that is a certain distance away.

Some places like book stores, coffee places, etc. have a wireless router for customers to use that is like #2 above. Some of those places provide service while you are there for free.

Posted 6 years ago

WeBJamming

So is there a way to have internet connection using a wireless card without having to have (pay for) monthly ISP?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Pardon the interruption, but are your queries solely based on securing a free(read piggybacking a neighbors) connection?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@Scott: I don't think the topic OP wants to piggyback a neighbors connection. I think the OP just got the impression that you can get wireless internet for free with just a card not knowing how it works.

@WeBJamming: To get an internet connection you have to pay for it as it there are costs with providing internet service. There are some towns who are starting to provide free wireless internet service but then the taxes for it.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Just to add a bit on what I said you need to pay if you want wireless internet in your house.

You can get free wireless internet well you are in places like hotels, coffee houses, book stores, etc. that offer free internet access. For more info on this see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotspot_(Wi-Fi).

Also like Scott mentioned above another free option would be to use someone else's wireless connection in the area but as wikipedia says that option is "a legally and ethically controversial practice".
You can read more about that at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggybacking_(internet_access).

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.