How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Windows Media Player 11 in Vista plays audio not video

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by NazzarenoCiccarelli
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 1378 times

NazzarenoCiccarelli

I’m running Windows Vista x 64.
Long time ago I was able to play AVI movies without any problem, but now only I can heard only the sound. I was reading the same post (that somebody posted one year ago) but there isn’t any definitive solution. I hope someone can help me now.
Yours answer will be greatly appreciated

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

"definitive solution", save yourself the headache, and just play them with VLC player ...
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

the older files might have been encoded differently ???

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

I installed this to play AVI movies in WMP.
http://www.koepi.info/xvid.html

Jim

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

NazzarenoCiccarelli

Tank you guys. your are fantastic. Before to download VLC, I wanted to do a try with the Hermitt recomendation. I he was right, now can download and play AVI movies without problem

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

pretty cool! thanks for chiming back in to let us know what worked.

i have a question though,
with the installation of that - do you happen to get thumbnails of the actual video files?
what i mean is - this is what a folder full of video files on my computer looks like ....

i believe i have the correct settings in place but as you can see above = no thumbnails ...

i had the thumbs once but lost them at some point a long time ago and have never seen them come back. not meaning to jack this thread - just curious as to if after installing that codec, weather or not you might get the thumbs?

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

NazzarenoCiccare, glad it worked for you.

@Vissy - The reason you don't see thumbnails is because you have all your videos associateed with VLC. Reassociate them to WMP and windows will display thumbnails again.
In order to play .avi files in WMP, you will have to install that Codec I linked to in my above post.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!