The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Increasing Video Quality

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Gmanlink
  • Latest reply from Gmanlink
  • Topic Viewed 1961 times

Gmanlink

If you had a average quality video, would you be able to enhance that quality? For example, enhancing it through a program such as Videoera iPod Converter. Or does it cause random spots of color on the video when played?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm not sure if there is an easy way to increase the quality of a video although it might look better if you play it on a lower resolution though

Posted 6 years ago

Gmanlink

So basically, you have to pay some extremely large amount of money to get that kind of technology?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

You can't add information to a video that isn't there from the start. So, you can't add resolution or color depth. An average quality video won't get better than average. You can run some video filters to remove noise or increase gamma, but there is always a trade-off of some kind. For example, you could run a smoothing filter to reduce the appearance of blocks, but that reduces the sharpness giving a soft focus. No amount of money or technology can produce something from nothing. It's best to start with the highest quality video source whenever possible.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

basiclly to get a better quality you would have to digitally remake the whole video which wouldn't make much sense and would take a real long time. so pretty much what scott said and try to start with really good quality.

Posted 6 years ago

Gmanlink

ugh.... I would just create a program that would predict the information based on statistics and very long hypothesises.
Of course, then i would just have to be the next John Nash, lmao

Posted 6 years ago

Gmanlink

ok, then what about enhancing photos?
When you look at the picture at a zoomed out position, you can see it with all its high quality.
But as you zoom in, the picture steadily loses its quality.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru

Well actually is the same as the video thing, you can "enlarge a picture" photoshop in example multiplies the pixels you are expanding at a certain amount, but then it will only enlarge it, not improve its quality; if i do that to an image that is 'medium' size all i'll get is a medium image enlarged to fit X size but things that are already out of focus, or a spot that is not well-defined in the original pic wont improve as I enlarge it. There are filters and other things that can fix a bit the image, but if for example something is too far behind or out of focus it actually takes a lot of time to fix or define in order to get something -if anything- out of it. So pretty much as with the video thing, i'd recommend starting up with an already good-quality image

Posted 6 years ago

Gmanlink

thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.