• Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 4549 times

ansi92

Looking good. I like the simple forum.

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I changed the default posts per page down from 30 to 20 because it was getting a little ridiculous.

There are going to be some very big and substantial changes coming soon... shouldn't be a big deal because we don't have all that many users yet.

Posted 7 years ago

taybay
taybay

Celebration for first two-page thread. XD

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

We rule!

On a separate note, I just added a new version of the avatar plugin, so icons with transparent PNGs will work now.

Posted 7 years ago

FMZ
FMZ

That's great! Congrats on your forum, it looks clean, inviting and has good layout.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

I like the layout too. most forums are so cluttered and horrible to read.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Yes, the layout is great. I don't think I've seen a BBPress forum before.

What happens in a few months when the topics multiple exponentially? I read where you changed the default posts per page to 20 from 30 but I'd like to see each forum topic's not limited. It's such a hassle to look at page 2, page 17 to check out older threads for answers or just reading). What is the limit for topic posts per thread anyway?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think that 20 is a fairly decent default, but we can tweak it if we need to. I mostly wanted the front page to stop being so intolerably long.

bbPress is a very new forum... it's the forum for wordpress.org and does a fairly decent job there, considering the vast amount of posts they get... I think they have about 100k topics and around 500k replies.

The great thing is that because it starts as a blank slate, you can add the features you want through plugins, which is where it shines. The plugin architecture means you can completely customize without making a single core change. Not many other forums let you do that.

The bad thing is that there aren't nearly enough plugins yet, because it's so new.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Geek, maybe I'm confused. On this (the longest) thread, 20 posts per page before page 2, no worries.

On the Main page that lists the topics, is that limited to 20 as well? If so, that's too bad, it's much easier to search a topic without having to scroll pages.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Oh I see now. In the 'Reader Contributions' forum, its 4 pages already.

My suggestion is moot, :o

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

How about an 'Off Topic' thread ?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

thread, or forum.. or both?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

fyi, you can now use img tags in your posts... It doesn\'t thumbnail the image yet, so you need to make sure they are not more than about 800px wide or else it\'ll run off to the side.

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Moved the navigational stuff over to the right to be consistent with the rest of the site. I'm going to eventually figure out how to use the sidebar look from the main site on the forum, but haven't gotten to that yet since the bbPress default theme is such a pain to modify.

I really need to just redo the theme with proper positioning, but I don't really have the time for that.

I also added icons for the folders... I'm not going to overdo it with graphics, but I figured a few little things might help usability.

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The last poster name on the forum views (as in the front page) now link to the last post itself. Much simpler.

Posted 7 years ago

HaribomachtKinderfroh
HaribomachtKinderfroh

Is there already a way to change your username? If not, could you make it possible?

I hadn't realized just how long mine was until after it was already submitted. I know that can mess up the look of the site for people and don't want to be the cause of that.

Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

We can change just about anything you entered to register, save for your username.
No worries though.

-Edit-If you're patient, the new forum theme will be arranged in such a way that usernames will not interfere.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.