The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Improvements to Forum

(37 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 4549 times

The Geek

I'm interested to hear what the readers would like to see as improvements to this forum.

I'm going to shortly enable avatars... what other features would you like to see?

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

Awsome thanks man..... :)

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

We should be able to more easily see the threads that we started, or threads where somebody has responded to us.

You can do it on the profile page, but that's not very convienient.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

That seems like a good idea. Would it suffice to have links on the side for "My Threads" or something like that ?

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

Having a "My Threads" link would be good.Easy access.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

That would work for me too

Posted 7 years ago

taybay

Icons for new and unread posts. Honestly I love phpbb forums, but that would be a big undertaking to install and maybe too bloated for this site.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

That's a great idea... I'd like to see icons or some way to show which posts are new

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I added a plugin that makes new posts bold... but it doesn't unbold right away, takes a few minutes. Not the end solution, but maybe a nice interim.

I originally started working on setting up a phpbb forum, but the problem is that it doesn't integrate with Wordpress very well, and also doesn't have RSS feeds. I really like the new phpbb3 topic theme, though.

I also want the forums here to be as simple as possible... we don't need overly complicated forums with all sorts of functions you'll never use. I'd rather just implement the features that are really useful, and then leave it at that.

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

Sounds good, we can look at new things as they come...No need to rush..

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I think I've figured out the "my threads" thing now... gonna push up the change a little later.

You can also use the favorites function.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I've added the "my threads" thing, except it's separated into two separate functions, one for topics you've started, and another for topics you've left a message on.

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

I find the "posts I've started" a big help, thanks

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I've added the post count... I still have a lot of work to do on the theme, but it's improving!

I like bbPress... it's like a blank slate where I can add just the things I want.

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

I really like the views and post tracker thanks man..

Posted 7 years ago

lesi2

views tracker? where can you see that?

Posted 7 years ago

Zig

In your profile

Posted 7 years ago

lesi2

it shows me the last time I was online, but not how many views

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

Yeah, post views are being calculated on the back-end, but I'm still working on a good way to display them without killing performance.

bbPress is great, but some of the plugins are a bit ugly in their implementations.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

You might notice that I've added in a views count... it's not entirely accurate on most of the topics posted before yesterday, but at least it's a start... it should be accurate going forwards.

I'm debating on adding it to the list pages as well... not sure that it really has much value there, but it seems like every other forum does it.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.