The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Importing Web tables in Excel

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by coolkidz33
  • Latest reply from moreeg
  • Topic Viewed 775 times

coolkidz33

I have watched several videos of importing web data into Excel. Looks easy enough. My question is, why do some apparently obvious looking tables not have the yellow arrow next to it so you can import them into Excel. I know you can copy them but some update all the time. Here is an example: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statist.....t/passing. I can do all the ads or the whole page but not just the tables with the passing leaders in it. If I import out the whole page and then delete what I do not want, it all comes back when I refresh. Seems like this data is tailor made for importing into Excel.

Thanks. Coolkidz33

Posted 2 years ago

moreeg

Hi Coolkidz33

The appearance of the yellow arrows are based on HTML tags used to construct the page. It seems that this particular Excel capability has not advanced in line with new HTML or other web development techniques and as a result what seems to be an obvious table is not recognised by the data import facility.

There are 2 ways around this problem;

Use the import in a separate worksheet and then access the specific information you want via formulas or
Highlight the data you want on the web page, copy and then paste into your worksheet.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.