How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

IMPORTANT: We are switching forums on April 2nd

(83 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 4057 times

warlock
warlock

@GS, Just went to your edited link. Same problem tells me to use the E-mail link. Are you using yahoo or gmail to log in?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I registered as a new user and just linked things together from there.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@GS, Finally got on a password reset. Might need avatar help though:)

WOW, chastised for a pic upload already, and I thought it was on topic. No one else was there but, us.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

OK. Things looking up. The Meta Discourse works well on my Acer Android 4.0 tablet. So we're set to go for Tuesday.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah, tons of fun for sure.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Rick with your tongue in cheek:)

Posted 1 year ago

jcx
jcx

I already re-registered using raphoenix hope u don't mind Ricky!
(No I'm joking). I haven't even tried that's how much I care ya'll.
1 things for sure- "Were all gonna look a lot thinner". except maybe
Ian, Scotty & u warlock, Who will now pre-eat those thing's agreed
upon in the Stanley cup wager, just to make sure-
you don't try anything like changing names & doing a runner! "Ha"!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@ Rick,

Apparently you can't have animated Gif Avatars at present at least. : http://meta.discourse.org/t/au.....res/1127/3

Ok it's technically about signatures but I don't think the settings allow for it.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@GS,

I figured that if could shrink the size of my animated Gif to 25Px by 25Px then the Gif would animate automatically as there would be no cropping needed when posted.

Still working on the issue but might not be possible as you said.

Posted 1 year ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

This looks like it may be a positive step forward. (At least the forum isn't switching to Facebook log-ins.) However, I hope the "tech-help" feel of this site isn't diminished.

Additionally, are the current posts going to be archived in any way? I have occasionally did a google search for a problem, and end up with the first result being somewhere in the HTG forums (and the solution ends up working for me).

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@jmcquire, Unfortunatly you know as much as we do. All here are taking a wait and see attitude.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The Geek said at the top of the topic posting; "The new forum is designed more for discussion than tech support."

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Whs said not much for the social media. I agree with him, me either. The tech support should be the foremost object with social media as secondary. No one came to the HTG site just to socialize. Most had a tech problem that they wanted help with. I think that was provided and we'll see what happens tomorrow if help for them will still be available.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I wish you guys lots of luck with socializing. Maybe I meet you one day on a technical forum again. It was fun to be here during 17.500+ posts. But everything comes to an end one day. One must not run after every trendy fashion.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

WHS,

You not even going to give it a punt to see what it's like ?

Best to get first hand insight before any decisions are made, if I don't like it then I'll go somewhere else...maybe, if strangely enjoyable I may stick around.

And you did say yourself the forum should move forward with technology, well, it is.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well I'll NOT leave but have brought my profile up to date on other boards just in case.

Almost 15,000 posting here. (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

GS,

Right, I had hoped the forum would adopt one of the engines that other technical forums have and relax some of the rules (e.g. that you can correct a posting forever).

After a while I will probably be checking on you guys from the outside. Maybe you are right and it is worth getting into the act again. We'll see.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I don't think there is a time limit on post editing unless the topic gets frozen for some reason, and as for the rules, I certainly didn't see any list of them.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I hope someone told Mark about the change.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Sure there is a time limit for editing a post - it is 30 minutes. Try to deal with that if you post e.g. tutorials that require constant updates. Another rule was that you cannot embed videos. Since I make a lot of video tutorials, that was not very handy.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!