How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

IMPORTANT: We are switching forums on April 2nd

(83 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 4057 times

thegeek
The Geek

I wanted to make sure that everybody knows that we are switching to a new forum system called Discourse on April 2nd, as long as all goes as planned. I'll update everybody on Monday if anything changes, but as of right now, that's the plan.

The new forum is designed more for discussion than tech support - while there will certainly be plenty of people asking for help and plenty of you helping others, it's really meant to be more of a discussion area than just a tech support forum.

We will also be replacing the comments on the articles with this new forum.

The new system and rules will be a bit different - there are much better anti-spam controls built into Discourse, the system we are switching to, so we will be allowing people to link to things, and even mildly self promote things they have created as long as it's not actual spam. More to come on this topic later.

Discourse is an extremely modern piece of software. You can read more about it here: http://www.discourse.org/

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

There was much rejoicing.

It's certainly going to be strange having to tell someone that even though you may be able to help them unfortunately it can only be discussed. Very strange indeed.

Posted 1 year ago

thegeek
The Geek

I didn't mean that you can't help them. That's certainly a core part of the posts that come in.

What I meant is that it will be much more than just a tech support forum.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Is this going to be another Twitter. I hope that we are going to get some decent editor functions.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Either way I'm looking forward to it, a new change/start. Incidentally all posts will have to start from scratch again won't they ?

Posted 1 year ago

thegeek
The Geek

You can test drive Discourse right at their site.

http://www.discourse.org

And yes, we will be starting fresh on the new forum.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Starting fresh, prepare for server overload as everyone will want to be the first poster, or the highest poster blah blah.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Looking forward to some more features.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Will member info import from the existing DB or will we all have to re-register?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If member info is not imported and links are not maintained, we'll lose half of the crowd.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Well it was stated by The Geek in the original sticky that some would be lost others would remain.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The New Site is hard to envision so I think one will have to experience it first before commenting.

We'll just have to wait and see how it goes. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, as far as I can see, it is very different to the common forum engines. Will be interesting.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

The only thing that would concern me is the character count and whether or not there's a limit, otherwise we'll have to use text speak and I'm no fan of that.

Could also raise a few interesting ones with regional slang done in text speak, no one will know what the others saying...time to invent 'Text Esperanto'. :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well those who start Discoursing in "Texting Speak" will get NO answers from me.

I have enough trouble corresponding coherently in native correct English. (LOL) ....

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Me too, but why is there a problem with the builder people. If theyask can't you still respond? Still saving for mine. Expect you to help me:)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, I am afraid we have to get used to these modern times. It will be tough, LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@warlock,

No problem for the Builder Topics IF EVERY YONGSTER who doesn't know "Chile from China" don't jump in and
"muck up" the original OP's help question.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@whs, the young ones are taking over.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Speaking of young ones taking over, I've just been watching Battle Royale...strange coincidences :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.