How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

image uploading so tough....

(31 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Niks
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 3188 times

Niks
Niks

I just want to ask that why we have to make so much efforts in uploading an image to HTG? create an account to photobucket, login, upload image there, then direct it here.... this is so ridiculous.... y HTG site doesn't provide a direct uploading option for photos???

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

You think they'll provide now? Forget it. They'll now explain why the current system is better than any other site's.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

I think it is because it would require bigger, and faster servers. Very expensive.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

rightly said algotechie...
LH, it is so true that maximum users don't upload photos because of two reasons: they r not having an account on photobucket or don't want to make.
secondly, they r not knowing how to upload photos here. Seriously, i tell u they r most of us. The problem solving becomes a lot easier if it can b seen. Isn't it true??

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Please explain "maximum users".

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

by this i mean the people seeking for help on HTG forums.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

There are certainly some instances where a screenshot is useful. But they are in the minority.
We used to mange without them, but it meant a lot more questions and answers.

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

LH. No big servers are needed. Not every problem has to have a direct solution. Just provide the option of inserting certain HTML tags (like b, i, u, img) in the posts. That's it. Members can upload the photos anywhere. All they need is the URL to the image file. (You can also write a little script that would offer to upload a photo to the user's account in the most popular photo uploading sites. It'll need to have only four inputs for the user: the site where the user has an account - a selection from those you implemented, the user's username on that site, the password if any, and the image from the user's hard drive.)

I know for sure no one from the mods would agree, though the members would. I just couldn't resist.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Which is basically what happens now, if I understand you correctly.

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Sorry I edited the post. I realized what you said after I posted the original one.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

Well, as what i think, if there is a site like this, not having an option to directly upload photos, sounds aweful. Even in my case, for most of times, i personally don't post my queries because i know that it is hard to express myself without screenshots. I dont want to get myself engaged with creating a new account at one more site(like photobucket). I tell u, if this site manages to provide photo uploading as well, this will b called as investment of dollars, not wastage.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Aw come on :) You create the account once. Then it is 3 clicks (upload image, copy image, and paste image on HTG) forever after.
A few more for editing and things like that (I never bother with).

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Hey! All the site suggestion threads end like that. Let's just ignore that particular topic.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Who's ignoring it ?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well, Algotechie, the suggestion didn't get ignored, there has been a response.
When you make a suggestion there is the option you get a positive answer and the option to get a negative one.
It certainly hasn't been ignored.
If you can't handle getting a negative response, I suggest you don't make any suggestions anymore.
That's life's reality: when you want to see happen whatever you have in mind you're bound to get disappointed.
Sometimes people concur, sometimes they don't. Live with it.

And Niks, you're not going to tell me you only 'need' Photobucket or the likes for this site only.
There's plenty of other forums that don't provide the option to upload directly (including the one I created myself) : that's why sites like Photobucket exist.

Next time please think over what you're going to post or suggest so as not to waste moderatortime on discussions like this.

Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

I mean, when no suggestion is ever implemented, even though sometimes it's practical, why even make one? (I meant to ignore SITE SUGGESTIONS altogether, not just this thread. Making suggestions here is not being effective.) The rest of the sections are quite good given the number of members and the myriad array of the problems.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Many suggestions have been implemented. Before the Site Suggestion forum started, they were in Off Topic.

p.s., The Off Topic forum was one of my suggestions btw.

Posted 4 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Enabling direct image embedding requires loads of drive space, bandwidth, and dealing with other issues like moderating the images. Otherwise they will simply turn into a spammer paradise.

There's also limited benefit. The users who are tech savvy enough to use images in posts should also be savvy enough to follow the 3 easy steps to upload an image on photobucket.

Suggestions are great. Doesn't mean you will always get what you want. We are already slammed with loads of things to work on.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hi guys. In the case of Niks, he's using a super slow cellphone connection, so I can certainly see how signing up to Photobucket would be a major pain what with all the advertising.

@Niks, isn't there any other way you can connect to the internet? I'm guessing smoke signals could convey more data than a cellphone dialup connection.

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Yes. A photo uploading demand is not practical. The job is best left for the sites specializing in that thing. What I recommended was to provide a dropdown list of the most popular photo uploading sites, wherein the user would choose one and upload the image to the user's own account on that site. That way, HTG simply has to intercept the URL of the uploaded image automatically and display it. A really simple script code isn't it?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!