The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Image probs - no USB drivers for backup drive

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by dtmail
  • Latest reply from dtmail
  • Topic Viewed 404 times

dtmail

I want to make a image of the D: drive on a laptop, about 250 GB in size. But the image program (O&O) boots from a CD (PE boot) but there are no drivers for the attached USB connected backup drive, so I cannot add a image to the drive that is being copied, the C: is only 90 Gb, the backup drive is 2 TB.
How can I get the USB 3 drive up when I boot up from the Image disc, do I have to copy the image cd prg files to a DVD along with drivers for the usb
Regards, Dave

Posted 2 years ago

AdrianK-IT

Can't help you with O&O, but I use SelfImage, which you can run from within Windows. It has quite useful help files, too. I have tested it extensively, restoring the images using a Linux Rescue CD, and it has proved utterly reliable: http://selfimage.en.softonic.com/
Edit: you'd have to check, 'tho, that any Rescue CD you use incorporates suitable drivers!

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=3 This is used by most here.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Did you make the PE boot from the computer you are using it on? It should pick up the drivers from it when you make it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

AdrianK-IT

I used to use Macrium Reflect, and can vouch for its awesomeness; I've switched to SelfImage, though, since it is open source, so free for commercial use.

Posted 2 years ago

dtmail

Thankyou one and all for your answers, there are a number of issues here to consider, If the image programs mentioned do indeed work well from within Windows, then there is one answer. But dealing with an image and all the "baggage" GUI that goes with windows makes me wonder. Also I have used "O & O" image software for quite some years and find it very reliable. But for the moment I am going to explore Xhi thoughts and try to create my own PE disc with the O &O image software also on the disk, along with USB drivers. There maybe conflicts.
Thankyou all, Dave.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.