How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - image backup to memory stick

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Drizzle
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 686 times

Drizzle
Drizzle

I know Macrium will back up to HDD and CD/DVD.

What and how do you do an image backup to a Memory Stick????

Thanks..Be back later.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I know Ghost can do it as along as the stick has a drive letter assigned. Should work for all image programs as the drive would be considered local. Have you tried doing it that way? Get an error message?

Might want to look HERE as well for clues...

However, THIS ONE says you can't do it?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It's pretty straight forward. I just did one the other day. Of course you need a stick that is large enough to hold it. You select the disk to image then in the area that requests where to put it you browse for the stick and folder you want to put it in. I just did this for a client just last week. Bought him a 32 GB flashdrive and imaged his system to it

Pictures coming...

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Thanks guys... xhi I will see if I can do that ( appreciate the piccies) I can follow that ,Grateful....

Saw this but hmm!!! me thinks complicated.
http://kb.macrium.com/Knowledg.....50025.aspx

What size Memory Stick would be needed??? (Approximately)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

That is to put The macrium program on a USB stick no need to do that unless you do not have CD/DVD boot access. Whs has prepared an iso so you can quickly make the CD/DVD

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Yep, I have done and saved to DVD, and I have a famous one that I keep, as after I made Backup using 10 dvd's when I went to install the backup I only needed the 1st and only one DVD Ha!!!. It has worked twice for me, and when I mentioned it on here no one can understand how I get everything back and working with just the one Disc.
But wanted to attempt storing backup on the Stick, but now wonder ( as asked above) what size or I suppose like DVD will need several.. just makes for interesting know how on the Lappy.
Just ran re your excellent instructions but it only got as far as 5% and needed another stick, so will have to wait for another day.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Kate, did you not get the portable drive some time back?

I think what you are getting back is the .xml file? Which must come from your HDD, not an external source.

Just done a back up because I'm changing drive tomorrow and this is the folder size etc;

Because a full restore is;

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Kate

IF you used 10 dvds before (at 4.7GB each making 47GB) then I would hazard you need a 64GB stick to get it all on with some to spare. I'm assuming you left all Macrium settings at default with medium compression.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Ha!!!
Mike... No everytime I have gone to purchase an HDD, they are out of stock or discontinued. CHOL!! so I thought ok something is telling me ???

Tony.. doh! that makes sense, my old grey matter dont work so well these days. And yes I did not change anything..

At least now I know it can be done, it is another bit of info to store if anyone else asks.

Thanks everyone.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And give the stick a high Drive letter.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Thanks....Ha ! when I saw you reply , I thought 'Oh no. now I am in for some STICK'.... CHOL!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Kate, I did make a Macrium tutorial which may help. In that tutorial there is also a link from my friend Keith that shows the recovery procedure.

Regarding the size of the image - you should figure about 60 to 65% of the data that you image. E.g. if you have 50GB of data on a 300GB partition, your image will be +/- 30GB. The partition size is irrelevant.

I would use a stick only in an emergency. Big sticks are relatively expensive and hold maybe 1 or 2 images. I now image twice per week and use a 640GB and a 500GB external disk for that. I alternate between those 2 disks. That is safer.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!