SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

I'm trying to install Win 7 from my USB Flash Drive (Using XP now)

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by najkiie
  • Latest reply from rockingmtranch
  • Topic Viewed 3348 times

najkiie
najkiie

Hey, i'm trying to install Windows 7 from my USB Flash Drive and i'm kinda stuck. Keep in mind that i'm using Windows XP and not vista.

I know you can format a USB Drive trough cmd, but why can't i just rightclick on the drive and format it from there? Whats the difference?

And another thing, thats a bigger problem is; How do i make it bootable? I think i can do that via cmd to, right? Well, i've been googling for a solution for a few hours now and i can't find one. Oh and i tried this program to, but it didnt work :/

Can i make any USB Drive bootable or do i need a special type?

This is the one i'm using:
Click Here - Its the one with 16gb.

Thanks =)

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

Well for starters, the drive has U3 on it. That program you tried might work if that is removed. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the U3 software, just that you are doing something that the drive isn't really designed for so any help you can give it is welcome right? So, Google how to get that off and go from there. I use flash drives to run pc's (this one right now as a matter of fact), but not Windows.

Mac

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

Alright, wont it be removed if i format the USB drive? i tried to rightclick on the drive > format, and it worked, just not sure if it was the right way to do it. And also, before i formated it, i think i uninstalled it. I know i uninstalled something from it. U3, isn't that like a program that lets you install programs on the USB Drive and run them on a computer? Yea i removed that.

Thanks for responding, now what? =)

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

Oh and when i ran that program it asked me to locate the 'DOS system files' inside the Windows 7 cd/folder. I alredy have Windows 7 in an unpacked in a folder. But what files should i select? Thats where i got stuck.

Check this out:
Click Here
What folder should i select? there is lots of subfolders inside most folders.

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

Hmmm...not sure which folder. Just formatting with the Windows format won't touch the U3. That HP program you're using, I use one similar to remove the U3 and format my drives. Look for that. I don't really want to put links due to rights with the U3 software.

Since you haven't found any info on this on the big WWW, you just may be one of the first to try. This will be interesting to see if you can get it to work.

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

I found this if it helps:

How do I uninstall U3 from my flash drive

Most U3 smart drives come with an uninstall utility that converts the U3 smart drive into a regular USB flash drive. This utility can be accessed from the U3 Launchpad. Open the U3 Launchpad and click on Settings, then select U3 Launchpad Settings and click on the Uninstall tab. Some devices have a link to the Uninstall utility under Help and Support.

http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

1. Use a 4GB flash drive without U3. They sell for under $10
2. Try this link http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345
3. I hope you did not pay the price listed on your link for the 16GB USB - they now sell for $16 to $20.

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

whs, thats not what i payed for it. And i can ensure you that i payed less than 10$ for mine. I live in sweden... its cheaper here =D And btw, what does whs stand for? just curious..

rockingmtranch, when i launch the remover nothing happens, nothing shows up. And im pretty sure i removed U3 before i formated the Flash drive. So do u have any ideas what i should do now?

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

Other than install an MBR? Gotta gave that. Do you really want an idea outside of the box? I'll give you one.

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

This is something that is step by step:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_....._first.htm

Very good tutorial. And, many different ways of booting from that site. The Master Boot Record is your biggest issue and once you have that 'mastered', you've got it made.

Mac

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

najkiie, since you asked, WHS are my initials. Less than $10 is an exceptional price - although I remember Sweden as a relatively expensive country with high taxes. But my recollection is rather dated. I would buy a couple more for that price - but now I am looking for a 32GB flash.

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

rockingmtranch, That's a dual boot, I'm trying to reformat my HD to Win7 using my USB Flash.
Dual Boot is when you install two OS's on one system isn't it? And then you can choose what OS to boot when you start the computer?

isn't there a difference? And you said i needed to install Master Boot Record, where can i find it?

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie
najkiie

whs, Sweden is pretty a expensive country to live in, but USA is a lot more expensive, i think. Its hard to say... How much would you pay for a normal price ircream in USA? (Or wherever you live, you live in USA don't ya?) In sweden i would pay about 15kr, which is 1,87 USD.

"I would buy a couple more for that price"

I would if i needed to but right now I'll be fine with one of them =)

Posted 5 years ago

rockingmtranch
rockingmtranch

Yes it is dual boot. But it is complete instructions and the Linux takes care of the MBR for you. Then you have the drive working.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!