The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - IE8 Connectivity Problem

(21 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Highsierra
  • Latest reply from Straspey
  • Topic Viewed 1026 times

Highsierra

Using Windows XP with a Belkin N300 router. About 9 days ago I installed IE8, which seemed to be running ok, but the next day I was notified that MalwareBytes had quarantined Trojan.Pirminay. I removed this trojan and used CCleaner to clean the registry. Since then, I have been unable to access the web in a normal fashion. I have to click on an icon on the desktop, wait 5-7 seconds, and then close the window. If I do this 5 times in succession (using the same icon) the page will open on the 5th attempt - always the 5th attempt.

I have changed many router settings and then restored the default settings, have changed many MS and web settings, and then restored the default settings, have dropped many add-ons, plug-ins, and accelerators, switched to NTFS, and downloaded numerous fixes, all to no avail.

One lingering thought is that I may have deleted some important files with the reg cleaner. Should I do a re-install of IE8?

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99

in IE8 ,Go to Tools ----> Internet options --->Advanced -->Reset
Any progress??

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Thank you for the reply. This action did not solve the problem. I was hoping that the fact that the connection was always made on the 5th attempt would ring a bell for someone. What changes after four failed attempts?

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Highsierra, try this... http://windowsfixup.com/2009/0.....xplorer-8/
and/or this... http://www.digitaltrends.com/c.....xplorer-8/

also another option... http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....erformance

If all else fails, try this..
Re-register actxprxy.dll (IE8 only)

It has been widely speculated in the web that running the following 'tweak' improves IE8 speed considerably. In actual fact, what it does is fix some holes left by installation processes.

Regardless, there is no bad side effects to this command. Close all IE8 browser windows. Go to Start > Run and enter the command

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

and press Enter. You should get a 'DllRegisterServer in actxprxy.dll succeeded' message.

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Thanks Hermitt. I have been to those sites and used/applied the fixes, with the exception of the "DelDomain," which I just ran and received the "succeeded" message. I do have 311 bookmarks, but that has never slowed the operation down in the past. Thinking that my options now are to install Chrome or return to IE7.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@Highsierra, Try Chrome or revert back to IE7. Worth a try. But, if that doesn't work and you have no restore points you may be looking at a system reinstall. The Trojan might have caused more hidden problems than you believe you have fixed.

Edit: after Googling the Trojan you had it seems to be a nasty one, most are. Google it yourself and have a read about it.

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Yes, I will have to decide to make a change, or live with the 45+ seconds it takes to access the web. (Once online it is no problem to open new windows.) I believe that MB did a great job protecting the system, in that I was unable to locate any bad files in the registry when following instructions. However, they don't call them "hidden" for nothing. Thank you all.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

I would still Google that trojan, might be doing more than just delaying the internet. System reinstall is probably going to be needed. Good Luck.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Highsierra, one other option you could try to delete all the remnants of that trojan...
http://www.onlinepcsavior.com/.....l-removal/

I agree with warlock, a system reinstall might be your best option to resolve this.

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Thanks. Since I've never experienced any pop-ups that are usually associated with malware, I feel that my problem is connected to the recent install of IE8. I have searched the registry twice now for hijack keys and found zilch.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Let us know how it turns out and what you decided to do.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

HighSierra ,

You should probably install an Anti - Virus software as well.

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Went back to IE7 and it was worse. With IE8 I can surf the web normally once I go through my little routine to access the web initially. I run MB and AVG, both in realtime. I recall that after I installed IE8 about 9 days ago, I also installed an ad-blocker, which prompted me to link my hosts file to (?) and I agreed. Problem there?

This is much like the frustration I feel when I'm troubleshooting my daily driver, only I'm not getting greasy and running back and forth to the parts store.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

I also installed an ad-blocker, which prompted me to link my hosts file to (?) and I agreed. Problem there?
BINGO!! That's probably what's causing your problem. What's the name of the Ad-Blocker? Can you uninstall it?

Also Install then Run & update and scan your PC with this app.
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....tispyware/

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

I ran the SAS program and it found a few cookies that I picked up since my last reboot. The "adblocker" which I mentioned is actually HOSTSMAN. I did not configure the hosts lists, so it may have blocked Earthlink and some other pages (CNN) I use to access the web. I uninstalled the program on the same day as it was installed, when I had trouble getting online. When the trouble continued, I focused my attention on the recently (one day) installed IE8. In order to run several MS fixes I installed .Net Framework from 2.0 SP2 -3.5 SP1. Would it be OK to dump these?

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey

@Highsierra -

You mention that the problem began about nine (now about ten ?) days ago.

Do you have a system restore point which is earlier than the date on which your problem began ?

If so, I would suggest giving it a try - say one or two days before the day your problems began appearing.

See if that helps. System restore will create an "undo" point which you can access to return it back to the present, should it become a problem.

Hope this helps.

Posted 2 years ago

Highsierra

Problem solved. I contacted the author of the Hostman software and he kindly directed me to a MS fix which reset the Hosts file. Thank all of you for your replies.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

What was the MS fix?

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey

"How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default?"

http://support.microsoft.com/k.....orMeAlways

This article helps you reset the Hosts file back to the default.

To have us reset the Hosts file back to the default for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. To reset the Hosts file back to the default yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

To reset the Hosts file back to the default automatically, click the Fix it button or link, click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Fix this problem
Microsoft Fix it 50267

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Straspey, thanks for the link.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.