How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

IE vs Firefox

(24 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by pipo
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 2000 times

pipo
pipo

i know this is probably an age old debate, but i thought about this after reading the geek's article about auto-hiding cluttered firefox status bar items, i kinda got a little envious since i'm an IE 7 user.
so, which is better IE or Firefox? i haven't actually tried any plug-ins on IE, so i wouldn't know what to compare with Firefox.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

My understanding is that if you want something straight forward, use IE. Firefox on the other hand has a lot more functions because you have a vast selection of add ons and they keep adding all the time. There must be a "add on of the day" every day. Firefox is also said to have better security.
That all said, I prefer IE. In the past it crashed a few time, but so what, gives me something to do. And with SP1 that is supposed to be fixed. But I do use Firefox for some very specific tasks and to look things up in the middle of a HTG posting. I also have Opera and AOL.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Pipo, use both. One of the main joys of Firefox is configuring virtually every option under the sun. If you love to tweak, it's paradise. If however, you prefer something bloated straight out of the box, IE is for you.

Use as many browsers as you want, there is no 'best'. It's all subjective.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

thanks, guys, this is exactly what i was looking for, the pros and cons. i think i'll take scott's advice and use both.

could u guys give me a headstart on what plug-ins to use on firefox?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Just want to correct the terms here:
Add-ons/Extensions - These are things that modify the browser functionality.
Plugins - These are things web pages can use like Flash and QuickTime.

On the add-ons:
For Internet Explorer: IE7Pro

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

I currently use Firefox all the time, but when it comes to playing some games or online bidding, only Internet explorer is compatible to do that. And pipo, firefox has great themes to just to make the look and feel perfect for you. Visit the mozilla site!

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

that's actually one of the reasons why i've been putting off using firefox, back in college, i couldn't display some CSS correctly in firefox for my webpages.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Try using the 'Stylish' extension in Firefox for your custom CSS. No promises that it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Oh, and it was whs' idea to try multiple browsers. I was affirming.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i use firefox all of the time except for when i have to goto my college site and look at my emails and such then i have to use ie. i also like opera don't really use much anymore though

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I use Firefox 2 but have to keep IE on cos some programs demand it (and it's always handy as a backup)

Posted 6 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

I use Firefox, with the extension "IE Tab", you never get any problems with sites, even windows update. It enables you to open problem pages in IE embedded in Firefox.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@jonhill987 thx on ie tab now i never have to use ie

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks jonhill987, I'll give that a try

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That's interesting. I just tried to download it (from 5 different sites) and it wont download!

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

Lighthouse - here's the download from the Mozilla site: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That was one of the sites I tried. Just tried again. No download?

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

AHA - IE Tab just had an update for Firefox 3. For Firefox 2.x, click here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/1419 - and select the second "Add To Firefox" option (v 1.3.3.20070528 — May 28, 2007 — 167 KB).

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks greatly Appletom, that worked perfectly. I owe you one

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

You owe me one? I'm honored to be able to assist someone far wiser than myself - I owe you a favor for letting me do you a favor.

What other Firefox add-on's can you not live without? Instead of hijacking this thread, I'll start another one in a few minutes.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Nice of you to say so, but don't believe everything you read :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.