The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

IE page not found w/ Dial-up

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vendtech
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 1513 times

vendtech

Working on a problem WinXP box that a friend had spyware on. Got it cleaned, the last problem he had was that he could not log onto his BellSouth account and surf the net. He is using Dial-up. The dial-up networking dials, logs in but all the sites come back with page not found. I installed FireFox and everything works fine, it is just IE6/7 that can't get a web page with Dial-up. When I connect to my DSL it works fine with FireFox and IE. I figure that since FireFox can dial in and get a page that it isn't the Dial-up networking client, that it has to be IE. He started with IE6, so I updated to IE7 thinking that if there was a module that was corrupt that it would be replaced. I did the update through MS update website. I wonder if it updates with a complete install of IE7 or just the necessary modules, and if the later is the case should I download the whole package and try that?? or am I going down the wrong troubleshooting path?? Thanks for any help on this one.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings>check Automatically Detect Settings and fill-in the correct User Name and Password.

If the default Dial-up is not present, please Add.

Hope that works.

Posted 6 years ago

vendtech

Hello Scott;
Thanks for the reply. When I use FirFox, it uses the same Dial-up connection that IE uses. It has no problems. It only seems to be with IE. Is the "Automatically Detect Setting" an IE only or is it universal?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

If your problems are IE specific, please try the above remedy.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.