• Topic Viewed 1493 times

Scott
Scott

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx

IE vulnerability addressed.

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

thanks scott,i heard about this. they called it the zero one virus,or something like that.thanks again for the heads up.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

When I read the message it does not sound as if this is going to be released as an automatic update. It sounds like it is going to come out as a set of options for geeks to choose from. Maybe one of you can come on tomorrow and try to spell it out for us Joe Computer types.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thx for that Scott. It won´t be automatically installed, so everyone using FF should click on Help-> Check for Updates... hope this helped Spacegold!!

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

My FF2 has just auto-updated.
Mozilla say this is the last planned release for FF2.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I´m using FF3, maybe that was the problem LH? I would still recommend that everyone searches for this manually (as posted above), just to be on the safe side ;)

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Absolutely agree Matt :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What does all of this Firefox talk have to do with the thread topic -- a security vulnerability in Internet Explorer?

I have Windows Update prompting me to install KB960714 which points to the same advisory, 961051, mentioned in the link that Scott provided above. It is an automatic update on my systems for both XP SP3 and Vista SP1.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@ScottW

I was wondering that too... started investigating. Looks like there's a nasty bug in Firefox which is actually similar to the IE one, although totally separate. Anybody using Firefox should make sure they update.

http://www.mozilla.org/securit.....refox3.0.5

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

For those running IE, there are two Out of Band Critical Updates available today (12/17/2008) on the MS Update Site.
The usual malware checker will check the system and install the Critical IE Update.
No choices appear with the IE Update. It's presented as a normal Critical Update.
Just check mark both boxes, let the updater do its thing and then reboot when instructed as usual.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@The Geek: thanks to Scott, I was aware of the Firefox 3.0.5 update as well:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....5-released

I see what you mean about the two problems that sound similar:
IE: (CVE-2008-4844), Pointer Reference Memory Corruption Vulnerability
FF: (MFSA 2008-60), Crashes with evidence of memory corruption

@All, I have installed the Windows Update for IE, 960714, under Vista and all appears well. It required a reboot for me.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@All,
After installing the IE Update, I checked my Custom Security Settings and found all were the (same) as I had set.
Can discern no difference in the performance of the browser.
As with ScottW, the normal Reboot is required after installation completion.
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, as I'm sure you know, those of us whose primary browser is not IE are still "running" IE because it's so deeply embedded in Windows.

No matter what your primary browser is, all of us Windows users need this update.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Scott,
SURE, Totally Agree.
What is the question ?? I'm confuse by your post.
I might add that those running multiply browsers should keep ALL browsers updated.
Just assumed everyone would do that.
I don't have a favorite browser although IE is probably in use more than others because of spouse.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, there is no question. In a previous post, you had written that these critical updates were "for those running IE". My point is that all of us with Windows XP and Vista are running IE whether we use it or not because it is so deeply ingrained in Windows. I just wanted to make sure that anyone who thought to themselves, "I am not running IE, so this doesn't apply to me", that they would know that it does apply to them. The way I see it, patching IE is patching Windows.

Also, it might NOT be obvious to the novice user that they need to patch other browsers and all of their applications for security purposes. That's why I strongly recommend Secunia PSI to anyone who will listen. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Scott,
I gotcha.
Can see how my post could be mis-interpreted.
I tend to forget folks new to to computing are constantly coming on board.
This will really become evident next week when folks get new computers for gifts.
Agree concerning Secunia PSI.
Thanks,
Rick P. :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

i got my update today,it was listed as important and i did not have to restart (kb960714)
mike

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold
Spacegold

Mine came in today, as well. And I manually installed it ahead of the normal 3 a.m. automatic update run. Restart was required.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.