How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

IE 8 beta - can I go back to IE 7?

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by dezertprincess
  • Latest reply from herfavstuff
  • Topic Viewed 12530 times

dezertprincess

Hey all -

I just installed Internet Explorer 8 Beta on my Vista 64 bit system. I'm having terrible issues where I don't even want to run it anymore. Anyone know how to uninstall it and then reinstall IE 7? I looked in the change/remove programs area but no luck - there is no option to remove IE (how clever of Microsoft).

I do have Firefox but really prefer IE. Please let me know if you can help - thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

DezertPrincess, hello. The release notes for IE8 beta2 have instructions for uninstalling:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

We were just discussing this in another thread where MS announced that XP SP3 users would not be able to roll back to IE7 without removing SP3 and Vista users have to "manually" uninstall IE8 to roll back.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ith-xp-sp3

Posted 6 years ago

dezertprincess

Just a follow up - thank you for posting this info. It did help me. I was really freaking out! Anyway since then I've been exclusively using Firefox and love it!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

O Princess of the Dezert, you honor us with your thanks. Could you do us another honor and tell us what you did with IE? Were you able to uninstall IE8 beta? Did you have to take out any service packs to do it?

Even if you only use Firefox for browsing, there are some programs that will still use the IE rendering engine to show content. So, if you haven't gotten rid of IE8, those issues could show up again.

Posted 6 years ago

herfavstuff

IE8 is not a program to Microsoft; it’s an “Update”. To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, go to Control Panel, and click on Uninstall Programs link or Programs and Features icon. Then on Tasks pane on the left, click on View installed updates link. Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 8 in the list of installed updates, and then click on Uninstall button. Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update. This one is tried and proven in VISTA.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.