The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

IDT high definition audio CODEC cannot start

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jkplaya7
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 67940 times

jkplaya7

i just reinstalled windows xp and i was reinstalling everything and the add new hardware came up for my speakers. i went through it all and at the end, it said this devise cannot start,code 10. i followed the troubleshooting but it didnt work. any1 know how i can get my speakers to work again

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

?

Posted 6 years ago

PalmTrees

thats odd. did you try unistalling, reboot, then reinstalling the hardware and drivers?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

What kind of speaker are those (make and model)? I'm guessing they must be connected to a USB port, otherwise they would not need the new hardware wizard. Is that right? What do you see in Device Manager where the speakers should be? Is there a "?", "!", or "X" symbol?

What's that in the title about "IDT high definition audio codec"? What does this codec have to do with the speakers?

Posted 6 years ago

jkplaya7

a ! shows up in device manager next to IDT high definition audio CODEC. my speakers are delll something, i do not know how to find model. and i have no idea what CODEC meens next to it

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

jkplaya7, it looks like IDT is a company that makes the audio chip in your PC:
http://www.idt.com/?catID=7233908

You should go to Dell's website for support, enter your Service Tag and download the latest drivers for the IDT audio chip. Update the driver and see if you can get rid of that startup message and the ! in Device Manager.

Posted 6 years ago

Nikoali477

Im having the same problem, I have updated my drivers but windows still says device cannot start, code 10.

Posted 5 years ago

bisiteru

I have had issues like that and a simple solution to it is to simply visit the PC manufacturer's site, download the driver (the 2007 driver in particular worked for me)and install. Note however, that you uninstall the currently installed driver before installing the new one you downloaded.

That should definitely help you out.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

bisiteru. Thankyou for posting, but this is an essentially dead thread. I will leave it open for a while longer tho, just in case.
And welcome to HTG :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.