Idea: New Forums and Other

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1842 times

jd2066

I have a couple forum ideas I just thought of:
1. Create a few new forums:
Hardware - For discussing how computers work and what components to buy.
Office Software - For discussing Microsoft Office, Openoffice, email clients and any other program for information management. Note: Idea based on one from http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/office-forum
OS Installation and Dual Booting - For discussing all Operating System installation and Dual Booting related questions.
2. Move all topics from Geek Stuff forum into correct forums and remove Geek Stuff forum.
Hardware related questions -> New hardware forum
Office related questions -> New office forum
OS Installation and Dual Booting -> New forum for it.
All else -> Off Topic forum.
3. Move all topics not about Ideas for How-To Geek from the Suggestions section to the correct forum and rename it to How-To Geek Ideas.

I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of those ideas.
Also interested if 2 or 3 are even possible. I'm not sure if they are.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru

Sounds like organizing the forums... I think it could improve the way the forums work.. I suggest a "Peripherals" forum for the ones who have trouble with cameras, printers, iPods and others... and a "Virus!!!" sub-forum... apparently people saying "I GOT A VIRUS" is not uncommmon... they could go one for each OS forum... so you dont have to guess what OS is the person using!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that this would help out a bit

Posted 6 years ago

whs

This would have my support - with the addition regarding peripherals that GaardCeteru suggested. The key question though is which ones are shown on "All Forums" and which ones are not. If you show all, it may get crowded. If some are being seperated, they may not get a lot of attention. And we have to tread carefully not to become another Neowin Forum which is very difficult to navigate.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i would say to make the main topics that are shown on the bottom like what jd said and show all on the main page except the ot so then it will be a bit more organized and easier to follow for newer users

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

whs is absolutely correct, we need to tread carefully when making changes.

Most of the forum ideas are good ones, but the problem is that we'll end up with a dozen empty forums like our current OS X one, and then the front page will become difficult or impossible to navigate like every other forum out there. One of the things that we pride ourselves on is that the forum is simple and easy to use for regular people.

I have another plan for the future on how to make things easy and better organized, but I've just not had the time to finish working on it.

If anybody has any forum suggestions, you are always free to email me: geek@howtogeek.com Don't want to see a trend of every other post being a request for a new forum... then we might need a Forum Requests forum, and that sounds like a recursive loop. =)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Well I am all over the Office one (I suggested it earlier today and it's already off the front page), and the Hardware maybe a good one too, though thus far a good number of hardware questions have been after an OS change (Vista->XP or XP->Vista (I suppose I could have said Vista<-->XP)). As for OS installations, most people tend to put them in the forum for their new OS, and considering most OS updates are few and far between...

As for moving threads around, do you hate your moderators? ;-)

We should also add a forum for Budo's poker tilt lol!!1!1!!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Re Too Many Forums: True, that is a tricky balance.
Re Plan for future: Ok.
Re Forum Requests: Ok. I would do that but I wanted to see what other people thought of the idea. I can't see your inbox so I have no idea what other people think of an idea.
On the forum there is already one (The Suggestions forum) but it seemed like the last time I posted there I didn't get a reply.
Re Hate Moderators: No. Just like things organized. If it was thought of as a good idea by the users and I was a moderator I would move the threads myself.

New Idea: We could just remove all the extra forums and organize things with different tags and everyone could chose to show topics from certain tags about things they know about. This might solve the empty forums problem but it would be more complicated too.
It could be less so by making all the tags be fixed things like certain OSes, programs and other categories. The home page could just show all topics tagged with support.

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

jd, the 'hate your moderators' was a funny in a way cause they would have to go thru 1*10^6 topics to sort them out, my attempt at a (rather dry) lol. I like the tag idea, thought that may put a burden on the 'power repliers' as I doubt that many of the new people who join for an issue or two would care about tagging/do it appropriately, though I am sure some generalized 'core tags' could be agreed upon to help facilitate the tagging process.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Bravo Geek. I applaud you for your exellent analysis of the dangers. Nevertheless, new ideas do not hurt. May I suggest we discuss these matters on the OT side of the house. There is some value to have a discussion with everybody rather than everyone mailing his/her ideas to you directly.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@Budohorseman: I thought it was but decided to respond anyway since it is a valid point.
Moving many topics could be a problem. I was thinking that maybe a bulk move though or something to help there as many of the topics could fit in a certain category.

@whs: I agree on the value of discussion with everyone.
On the forum I wasn't sure which forum to post in but I suppose the OT one would work better as the home page probably should just have support topics.
I can't move this topic now though.
Maybe The Geek can if all agree it should move there.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i don't really care if it is moved i will still be able to track it

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

whs is right, I'll move this to the off-topic forum, then we can post all we want without bothering the regular folks.

There's a way to do a bulk move, I think... otherwise I'm sure I could just go into the database and do it. It's more a logistical and planning thing than anything else... I don't want to have another OS X forum that nobody uses and clutters up the list... simplicity is a good thing.

As far as the tags go, they are built into bbpress, but regular people don't know how to use them. Even on a forum where everybody completely understands tags, they still end up getting messy and useless (just look at the official bbpress forum)

edit: I've disabled the tags, which is why you don't see them.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Yes those are a bit messy and useless.
How about doing a fixed set of tags? I made a mockup based on the current new topic page to show my idea at http://www.techoddity.com/temp.....wtopic.htm
Right away I think it might be too complicated and a little hard to implement but an interesting idea none the less.
Note: Being a mockup to show an idea it doesn't completely look right and it doesn't actually submit a topic.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I've been considering doing something somewhat similar in a way... but the problem was making it easy to use and/or optional.

It's a pretty good mockup though.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.