The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Icons Move After Auto Update

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by khutchin
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1005 times

khutchin

Lately, my desktop icons have been moving after each Windows auto update. This is making me crazy! Any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Do you run a program that changes the default screen mode?

Posted 6 years ago

khutchin

Not that I know of. :)

We didn't have any problems prior to the new year. It's been just recently after the Windows Auto Update reboots.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Have you installed a new game or other program recently

Posted 6 years ago

whs

If you have many Icons on your desktop, I suggest to create a folder on the desktop and drag them all into this folder. Then you go to 'sidebar Gadgets' and download the AppLauncher from 'Get more Gadgets online'. Now you drag all your Icons from said folder into the AppLauncher box (it grows as you move more stuff in). Now you can launch any program from there with one click - real handy. Keep the sidebar 'always on top'. Then you have access to your Icons from any window. A very smooth way to operate and your desktop is uncluttered - except for the one folder. No need to rearrange Icons any more. In the AppLauncher box you can rearrange the position of the Icon if you go to the little wrench on the side of the box.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Just one note. AppLauncher only remembers the path to your shortcut Icons from where you dragged them. I.e. if you move them around after moving them into the AppLauncher box, the AppLauncher will loose them. So the sequence is: first drag them to the said desktop folder, then into the AppLauncher box and then leave them in the folder there.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.