How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Iconized Bottom Panel

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 673 times

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Does anyone know how to make the bottom panel in Linux Mint iconized like Windows 7 is. Currently the windows I have open display the icon of the program and the part of the title. What I want is JUST the icon.

Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

In windows taskbar properties, it is always Combine and Hide Labels.

Not sure about Linux.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Ya I tried looking for a similar setting and did not find it. I'll wait for a Linux user to pop by.

I installed Linux Mint on my laptop as the primary OS. I needed an OS that was a little less intensive that Windows 7 on my old laptop. It was heating it up enough that I was uncomfortable having it that high. I'm using it at school primarily so I don't always have my cooling pad.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You can't over clock an OEM Laptop so something else has to be causing the over heating issue.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Try and find a program launcher called Docky...it's like W7 but much more customisable. here's an image of it on Pinguy OS which is derived from Mint and Ubuntu.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres.....CC8Q9QEwAA

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

@Rick,
I'm not overclocking it. I just had too many programs running on top of Windows running. The computer has always ran hot since I got it. I've taken it apart, cleaned out EVERYTHING, I think it just runs hot.

@StringJunky,
That could work. I will try it and see if it is what I want. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I used it with Pinguy where it comes as default and I absolutely loved it. Conky was great as well...that's that graphic panel on the side in the image I posted that tells you what your system is doing. But for a crash which might be down to my dead battery and the primitive printer interface I'd be using Pinguy all the time. It is not light on system resources though. This is a full on all bells and whistles Linux OS.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I like Docky. My only question now it how do I get rid of the default panel? The one in the image I have in my first post. And how do I add applets to Docky and have current programs running in the background appear on Docky?

I like the way the default panel is setup, just not the way it makes icons. The way Docky has icons is EXACTLY how I want it!

The applet that shows which windows are open is called "Cinnamon Window List." If I can find another applet that is more customizable that would be great.

I tried this applet but it won't show up after I check the box in the applet selection window.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Here's a Docky wiki

http://wiki.go-docky.com/index.....Docky_wiki

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I think I'm going to switch to Ubuntu because it already has a dock and so far all the programs I will be using have installed just fine and it looks how I want it.

Thanks though for you suggestions on how to to it on Mint. It is appreciated :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!