How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Icon clutter

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from elpaelpa
  • Topic Viewed 1509 times

whs
whs

I have seen a lot of our friends maintain the tradition from the old times to have many Icons on their desktop. Not only do they get scrambled from time to time, but they must also be in the way of a nice desktop background. To help those unfortunate souls, I post this little tutorial.

1. Private Toolbar

Move the Recycle Bin to the bottom left of your screen. For all the other Icons on your desktop do the following:

- right click on the desktop and go to “New? and click on “Folder?
- Name this folder “SC? for shortcuts
- Drag all the remaining icons on your desktop into that folder (not the Recycle Bin)
- now grab the bottom of this folder on the very bottom (where the SC is) and drag it all the way to the top edge of your screen until it disappears in the frame – then release it. Now you should have a toolbar that looks like this:

If it does not happen the first time, try again. You really have to push the folder all the way into the top.
The folder you used for that, you have to leave on the desktop – that is the Icon repository. If you were to delete that, you lose all your Icons. If you want to delete the tool bar, right click on it and click “Close Toolbar? (see picture). You should also click on “Always on top? (after you right clicked on the toolbar). I forgot to mark that in the picture. For the Icons I suggest to use Large Icons. When you go to “View?, you can set that. Now you can put any program or folder shortcut into there.
To make a shortcut of a folder: you right click the folder > Send to > Desktop
To make a shortcut of a program: Start > All Programs > Sent to > Desktop. But make sure you get the program. Often in All Programs you have to first left click on the program name because there are several files hidden behind, e.g. User Guides etc. Microsoft Office 2007 is such an example. Now that you have your toolbar, you can launch everything you have in there with one click.

2. Quick Launch

Right click on the Taskbar > Toolbars > check Quick Launch. Now any Icon on your desktop you can right click > Add to Quick Launch. Look for the 2 little arrows >> next to the IE Icon on the left bottom of your screen – this is the Quick Launch. From there you can launch the programs. The Icons on the desktop you can delete as soon as they have been stored in Quick Launch.

3. AppLauncher

If you have a sidebar, install AppLauncher which is now a standard sidebar option. Like with your private toolbar, you have to create a desktop folder where you park all your Icons. From there, drag them into the AppLauncher box. Same basic rules as for the private toolbar apply, namely you have to keep the repository folder.

Posted 6 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

W,thanks,I'll give it shot when I'm 'fresh'!My limited energy and mental capacity has been taxed enough for one day.The sp1 install went so easy- thanks!Does it annoy you techs when someone like me gets on here or is that the purpose of this site? I guess what I'm asking is, is this suppose to a site for more knowledgable people or for anyone including newbees? Tom

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

this site is here so we can help people like you solve your computer problems and it is for anyone.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Tom, you are very welcome in our midst. Ask any question you like and remember: There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Posted 6 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

I'm very happy to hear that.Without sites like this,people like me wouldn't be able to enjoy their comps. half as much! I've enjoyed and learned from the posts and questions/responses others have asked as well as my own! THKS--Tom

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.