How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

iBook Flashing Folder On Startup

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jedcadle
  • Latest reply from hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 1004 times

jedcadle

Hello,

I bought an iBook G4 from a friend and it was working great, I hooked it to another iBook by firewire cable and wiped the HD so I could easily start new.
Now when I boot all I get is a flashing folder icon with a ?mark and rotating face. I insert the OSX Disc and restart holding down the C key and nothing happens, It still comes to same flashing folder.
iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.1), iBook G4

Posted 2 years ago

jedcadle

The drive worked previously, The Disc is Mac OSX 10.0.3 for iBook
I have also tried holding the option key at startup and nothing loads except a refresh logo and an error but no drive containing OSX Disk

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

jedcadle hi.

'I bought an iBook G4 from a friend and it was working great'

'I hooked it to another iBook by firewire cable and wiped the HD so I could easily start new.'

'Now when I boot all I get is a flashing folder icon with a ?mark and rotating face. I insert the OSX Disc and restart holding down the C key and nothing happens, It still comes to same flashing folder.'

So why did you do this without thinking first?

There are a few members here who might help you but I have to refer to the above
'I bought an iBook G4 from a friend and it was working great'
And then you wiped it!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek

Have you tried booting up while holding down the "Option" key? That should bring you to a drive selection screen.
I don't personally have any Macs, but I found this which seemed that someone managed to get to that screen on a iBook g4:
http://www.mac-forums.com/foru.....post466244

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

Try another disc, 10.0.3 is pretty old, I bet the iBook can run Tiger (10.4), try that.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.