The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - i5 vs. i7

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1671 times

LadyFitzgerald

Granted, it's not a life altering experience but it is expensive and I'm on a fixed income so I want to get the best bang for my buck and get it right the first time (keep in mind this is my first build) since it is going to have to last a while. Also keep in mind I only know enough to be dangerous. Different people have different ideas of what silence is. I get annoyed when the little fan in my notebook ramps up every now and then. Even my ceiling fans on low sounds loud. I have replaced the fans on my case with Thermaltake AF0018s. They are reasonably quiet unless I run them full blast (even then, they aren't too bad).

The last two posts have made up my mind, btw. I'll get the i7-3770K for future proofing (such as that is) and because I can turn off the hyperthreading if need be.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

My wife's Dell has a 3770 (not the K version) in it. That is a Dell XPS 8500, and it is MUCH quieter than my Dell XPS Studio One 435T (2 1/2 years old with an i7-920). Her CPU is the 3.5Ghz and mine is 2.67Ghz. Mine gets noisey quite often, and I've NEVER heard her's rev-up... cases are about the same with the same fan set-up.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.