The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

I want windows back.

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Trigger
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1048 times

Trigger

I have insalled ubuntu on my Acer Aspire 5920, It has 2 HDD and when I try to use the XP install CD it says there are no HDD drives listed. How can I fix this to get windows back and remove Ubuntu. I need the mainstream access to programs that windows currently offers. If nothing else how can I reformat the drives to accept the install CD.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Trigger,
Who converted the below to Linux ??
How did you end up with an XP CD ??
http://us.acer.com/public/page.....3406370942

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

Trigger

When I bought the Acer it didn't come with a recovery CD and I failed to remember to create one and borrowed my dad's XP CD. I converted it to Linux. Another situation I caused by my absent-mindedness. It's a long story. I can't use my printer and I need it. Ubuntu doesn't yet support my printer.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Trigger,

There is a way to do what you want to do since the machine has an Intel 965 chipset however it is long process which entails making a slipstream of XP with Chipset Drivers included PLUS then you have to find the XP drivers for the machine if available.
In my opinion, your best bet is to call Acer and tell them what happened and see if they will help you out.

Another solution would be to purchase a copy of Vista and do a re-install.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Trigger, from what I read at Acer, that system has SATA hard drives. So the XP install CD probably isn't seeing them because it doesn't have SATA drivers. You need to put the XP SATA drivers on a floppy and press F6 when prompted during the XP install to get those drivers loaded. XP will never see the drives without it.

Also, since this is sold only as a Vista machine, it's unlikely that you will be able to get all the XP drivers that you need from Acer. I think your best bet may be to call Acer for a set of recovery discs as raphoenix suggested.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I don't believe that XP supports using flash drives for drivers during install, unless there's some way to do this that I'm not aware of.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yep, my bad, I was thinking of Vista. For XP, a floppy is required for the F6 disk.

Seems silly, though, since XP has USB drivers and FAT32 filesystem support. Why can't it read a flash drive during install? I guess they never put the two together.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Trigger,

The only way one can install XP is to make a (Slipstream CD) with the Intel 965 (Make Floppy Boot) Chipset Drivers (incorporated) in it. After XP installs, the next step is to install the Intel 965 (Full) Chipset Driver. The third step would then be to install the machine device drivers if available and compatible.
===========
Builder Mother Boards will support a USB Flash Stick as a Floppy Drive HOWEVER, one must cut off the real floppy and the USB Flash Stick becomes Floppy Drive B:
===========
An XP installation will always look for the (F6) additional drivers on Floppy Drive A: so that is why the USB Flash Stick solution does not work as Floppy Drive B:
===========
In your case, I don't think? the Bios gives you the Builder type MB options anyway.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.