SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

I want to install Win7 RCas a secondard OS and need much help.

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by baldeguy56
  • Latest reply from baldeguy56
  • Topic Viewed 2386 times

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Hi all at HTG. I would like to install Win7 RC, but without installing to the wrong place as like in the boot section of my hdd or somplace I shouldn't install at. Please, understand my limited skills of all this stuff involved. Cracker-jack for you peopl, but a biggie for and to the point of paranormal I have been waiting for this oppertunity since March and with all my pc problems, well I'm ready...Please help...And I will thank all in advance...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

GaardCeteru
GaardCeteru

Well first of all you have to make sure you have to download and burn Win7 RC disk, remember to copy the code microsoft gives you then make sure you have an empty hard disk or partition; if you dont, you will have to either format the whole hard drive or make a partition. WARNING: you will loose any data in your drive if you format a partition, make a partition, or format the whole disk if it isn´t parted; make sure you have a copy of your files.

You can format from W7 RC cd, make sure your motherboard´s bios is set to boot from CD before booting from hard drive and it will present you a screen were you will decide wich hard drive or partition you want to format, if obviously you only have one then you can only choose and format that one; hit enter and chose to format as NTFS:

Depending on the size and amount of information on the drive/partition go to you microvawe, toss in some popcorn, go watch a movie, when you come back it should be asking for the code (the code microsoft gave to you remember? they should give you one when you sign up for RC testing; check your mail or spam box or junkbox... you´ll find it!), then fill in your name and other stuff you can only know yourself, add username and password, etc. and voilá! you´re ready to start nipping and tucking all you want!

PS:
Usually different partitions have different letters and show the space on disk or partition, that´s how you can tell wich one you are formatting; any more questions feel free to ask around.

PS2: You cant make partitions from Win 7 boot cd, you can only format drives or partitions who already exist so if you plan on splitting your hard drive you may have to download a partitioner cd or partition from inside vista if you have it or use other similar software.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Garry, the installation steps for Windows 7 are very similar to those for Vista. You can follow along with a Vista installation guide, such as the one from Black Viper, and only see minor differences.

The most important step for you, and the one to plan ahead for, is where you will install Windows 7. You will need a partition separate from Vista's which can be: (1) on a separate drive, or (2) on the same drive in a separate partition. Option (1) is much easier and, if you have a second hard drive, much recommended. Option (2) is more complex unless you have a a bunch of unallocated space on your hard drive which is rare.

So you should start by figuring out where you want to install Windows 7 and how you will make space if it's not already available. Use the Disk Management tool (diskmgmt.msc) to look at your existing drives and partitions. You can post a screenshot of it if you would like some help deciding.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

For an exact look at the Windows 7 RC install screens, you can see them at Paul Thurrott's site along with some ads. Lots of ads.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Sorry for letting so much time slip by. I have gone thru all the posts here and still am weary of partioning my only drive (500GB), then messing up the MFT or something else by putting Win7 in a place only to delete it later and bamm, I messed up somewhere. I see alot of this. Am I just being too paranoid, fellows? Best regards...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Garry, I think that with PC security and data loss prevention, there is no such thing as "too" paranoid. This is why I strongly recommend option (1), above -- install Windows 7 to a second hard drive. That isolates hard drive errors, file system errors, and other bad luck with Windows 7 to a separate spindle than your primary workaday OS. Also, it makes it very easy to uninstall.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

ScottW, Dony have a second HD, but thought I could take a 100GB chunk off of the one I have, but I guess that has its problem. thanks...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Need to know the proper way to make a clean 100GB partition, that is clean from any Vista files such as MFT, Boot, mirrored, etc. I do want this Win7 that I've burned (slowly)to DVD on my computer to test out. Also, of concern is when I need to uninstall the partition safely, then to join it with the main part of the main drive. I don't know from what is what it could be. Please help an old guy out. Many thanks in advance...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

For starters, what OS is on the PC now? Is it XP or Vista?

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Hi ScottW. This new rig is the thing that got me and you selging introduced and also, wqth it's wegsite.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, Vista. The first step is to make space to install Win7 into. For this, the first part of The Geek's article on dual booting XP and Vista can be used. Follow the instructions there to shrink the current Vista partition to make room for Win7.

Actually, how is the drive partitioned now? Is most of that 500 GB assigned to one ginormous C partition?

Every NTFS partition has it's own MFT (Master File Table), so there is no worry there about one corrupting the other. The two operating systems will share a single boot manager and BCD data store. However, each one will have it's own Volume Boot Record (VBR) and Windows bootloader (winload.exe). To avoid getting the files mixed up, I make sure that the partition for the OS that is *not* booted has no volume letter.

If you should decide to remove Windows 7 from this dual boot configuration, you would remove the entry from the boot manager, then delete the partition with Windows 7 provided that it's *not* the partition with the boot manager and BCD. Wow -- that's clear as mud!

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

ScottW, Very good info to use, which I will when I clean-up the mess that I made with doing the partitioning on my own. I have posted the new problem on the forum. But when I'm ready the HTGs' pages is the way to go...thanks again...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

ScottW, This is exactly the same article I used before I had to abruptly leave last Wed, but was beforehand able to smoothly appy. Want you to know that all has turned out perfectly and as usual, I have saved this thread for future reference in MS Word for when I have to finally remove Win7. Think I will be in the future as far as I can see now, be making Win 7 the dominate OS, but then have Vista installed on a separate hard drive as a secondary OS. Thanks for all the help and direction I received. I love this Win7, but need much learning in getting around in both systems as in dicovering and learning the features and just the way the are put together to operate, which is alot of fun, but of course they'll be those times in learning that I'll wind up coming back for help when I blow up things, but it is exciting. Thanks...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!