The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

I think Kaspersky just tried to Scam me

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by inetmarketing
  • Latest reply from inetmarketing
  • Topic Viewed 900 times

inetmarketing

Ok, I just bought this Asus Desktop in November this year. It is so new, that I got it 2 days after windows8 stable was released. I usually use Window essentials AV, and run ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (as it allows program permissions), which I couldn't seem to do using Windows Firewall. but BestBuy offered 6 months free from a choice of 4 AV softwares. I chose Kaspersky. Never used it before. All of a sudden when I tried opening Photoshop today it said I was disconnected from the Internet, yet I'm not, and I couldn't use Photoshop/

I checked my firewall setting in Kaspersky, and under Firewall/FireWall Settings/Networks- on right side it has a button saying I'm Disconnected.

I went to Kasperskies Support Chat, and allowed a tech to remote to my pc. Long story short, he found nothing in a full scan, then proceeded to appear to run a program called AVG PC TuneUp. Well, at least that's the screen capture i took. It said i had 600+ registery errors. hmmm

He also started saying things like, he considered us good friends, and offered to fix it for A ONE TIME FEE OF $120. Man the Red Flags were flying everywhere. I quickly ended the remote access.

Any suggestions. I was gonna un-install Kaspersky...

Robert

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Oh dear... does sound as though you have been scammed ... NEVER let anyone access your computer unless you personally know they can be trusted.
Also never PAY online a one time fee...Always come here and ask for help first.
Run Free Version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....bytes_free

http://www.superantispyware.co.....S_HOMEPAGE

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Also, I can't believe you were at the real Kaspersky support chat. They are a reputable company and would not attempt such a scam.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

agreed scam. anyone who tells ya or even software that says you have a bunch of errors & " we can fix it if you pay this amount" RED FLAG ! SCAREWARE

Stick around ! htg has some very talented mods & senior members who will get ya straightened out !

Do any of the other apps tell ya that your not connected or just photoshop ?

you could try uninstalling then going with mse " Microsoft security essentials" just to see if kap is the culprit

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Have you got the link for 'Kasperskies Support Chat'? I have used them in the past & found them extremely good, and there would be no way they would install a competitors program (AVG?) on the system, so I suspect you may have chosen a link from outside of the program.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Here's a similar story:

http://www.technibble.com/foru.....hp?t=23295

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you were DISCONNECTED from the Internet, how did you do the Chat?

I'd go back to Best Buy and complain. Have THEM look at the system.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

@xhi- I just checked my history as I couldn't find a chat box on Kaspersky's site; xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Red site scam, deleted by mod

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

Hey, I cannot figure out my controls. Is there a way to get a email when people respond to my topics? I'm used to phpbb & vbulletin... Oh and while I trusted this guy to remote I didn't and wouldn't have paid a dime. I'm not usually one that would NOT know what site I was on. <palmonface>

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi inetmarketing ,

There are no email notifications on this site (thankfully).

Just to put your mind at rest : http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.guruaid.com

You should install WOT to give you an idea of what is a safe site or not, it won't protect you against malware but will give you an idea of whether or not to go to/use a site.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

inetmarketing, that site was an absolute scam! And had nothing to do with Kaspersky!

We need to look at your problems again I think

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

I ran Malwarebytes, and nothing was detected... So far so good

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

Ok, whats good for checking my registery?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Do you still have problems?

If you do, then we are talking a reinstall, hopefully you have backed up your data at this point.

Registry checking is pointless now

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

No, I don't believe this is set up to back up anything, but I could be wrong. I have a 1T hard drive. I usually add a seperate internal HD for back ups. Whats your suggestion?

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

Oh. and I'm still working on figuring out this Windows 8...

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

The model of your Asus desktop may also help.

Posted 1 year ago

inetmarketing

CM1745

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Asus CM1745

http://www.asus.com/Desktop/En...../#download

Suggest Clean Installing the Computer.

This is an easy one to almost convert over to a Builder Machine.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!