The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

I think i disabled my desktop

(21 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by musicstuff
  • Latest reply from musicstuff
  • Topic Viewed 1211 times

musicstuff

I have a dell latitude D610 laptop, I downloaded a driver or a video (.exe) ( I think IT something) and I was setting things up and I came accross some pictures of a laptop, and a desktop and some other stuff.....I press the desktop picture and it lit up. BUT when i tryed to go back to the laptop picture (icon)
it would'nt let me do it. SO anyway long story short i'm pretty sure i turned off my desktop. because now when i turn on the computer all goes fine (Windows screen and stuff) and then i'm lef with a blank back lit screen and noting else I MEAN NOTHING ELSE no start no pointer no screen back no nothing. i,ve tryed fixing with a xp cd and and starting with every mod i have avilable (f8) .....i'm lost
please help..thanks very much
olin

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi musicstuff ,

When you boot into (what would usually be the desktop) can you bring up the Task Manager by either, a) Hold Ctrl+Shift+Esc ; or b) Hold Winkey+R to bring up a Run box and type Control ?

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

Hi GuiltySpark
Nope, ,that screen is just a back lit nothing. I can usualy get myself out of the dum stuff i do. This computer is a second hand one we bought with no conputer CD or OS CD but I have an XP CD and i can boot with it but of course in the end i would have to install the new OS but it's rejestered on the computer that I'm using.
Thanks
Olin

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

Do you get the same nothing if you boot from a live Linux CD?

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

I don't know of anyone who has one. Can I get one on line?

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

I use Linux Mint. Download the first one the 32 bit MATE version from this page http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and then use the Universal USB installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/u.....-as-1-2-3/ to put it onto a bootable USB stick. If your system won't boot from the USB you can use ImgBurn downloadable from http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/ to create a bootable DVD. (image is too large for a CD).

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

Can you hook your laptop to a monitor and get picture?

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

Ha Ha ........ this is awkward.... that's how i got into this. I was setting up my laptop to my new 47 inch LG. I found a monitor cabel with the ends i needed to interface, but the screen shape was wacky and the computer only had 2 settings, so i went to downloading a driver (ATI ?) somehow through setting this up i lost the signal to the TV and then well trying to get it back i did the praverbial deed. So now monitor out........ is out.
(I know I know.......how did he do this??)
thanks
Olin

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Is there a function button on the laptop (maybe along the F keys) that has a monitor symbol on it ? If so you may need to either push this or with a combination of the Fn key+ the monitor key.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

On your Dell it's the Fn key + F8. This is the hotkey for switching between the laptop screen and an external monitor.

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

neither of these sujestions worked, there is only a mute button, a volume and on/off boot. I've always wanted to try linux but i need to do some more reading because i'm finding it very confusing to download. But if i can fix this with out doing that i will try linux another time. I do have a XP CD maybe i can set it up on a partion and try to fix from that angle
Thanks very very much for your time
olin

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

If you pop your XP Cd in and let it start do you see anything on your screen or do you still see a plain screen?
Have you tried booting in safe mode and or looked in your BIOS to see if there is a setting you can change.
If you make any BIOS changes jot them down so you can change back if needed.

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

Your laptop screen is black no matter how you try? An external monitor using the Fn+f8 key to switch doesn't work either? Odd...how about you start in safe mode and see if you can boot into your desktop - I haven't seen this option posted yet.

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

the screen is back-lit not just black, yes it swops to the external monitor, but it just sends this signal of a lit screen. I have tryed to boot the desk top in a bunch of different modes. I just keep getting this blank but lit screen. I can tell by fooling with things that every thing is working but nothing will give me my desk top....
thanks
olin

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

This site http://support.dell.com/suppor...../specs.htm says:

NOTE: Your Dell™ Latitude™ D610 computer has both integrated and discrete video options.

Have you tried both?

Posted 2 years ago

musicstuff

I tryed the diferent setting, they do the right changes, in other words the vedio is all working fine. I can tell that by the boot. still nothing on desk top.
I have even tryed moving around my invisable mouse hoping I might be able to hit the start or something, no luck
olin

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

Any time I've not been able to see things on the screen of my computer I've never considered the video to be working fine, but I could be alone thinking like that.

Actually from what you describe it appears to me that your video works fine while under the control of the computer's bios and takes a hike once Windows takes over. Too bad you won't try the Live Linux, that would at least remove Windows from the equation and perhaps give some other ideas as to what's happening.

At any rate I'm done Good Luck to you.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

@nosparks, If he trys a Linux Cd or winXP Cd either one should display the O/S startup screen.
@musicstuff, Forget playing with settings for now. You need a bootable CD that can hopefully display something on the screen beside the backlit as you describe. If you still get nothing with either of the above suggested CD's then you might have to give a clean install a try.

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

germ-x, you're right. OP say in first post, tried fixing with XP cd. You asked what OP gets when booting from XP cd and even tho OP has posted twice since then never says. Absolutely nothing suggested is successful and the two or three mouse clicks it would take to download a Linux ISO is very confusing.

Starting to feel like a fishing trip to me.
Like I said in my last post I'm done.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Many fishing trips in the past and most of all no fish

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.