The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

I still don't get it

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Zyreq
  • Latest reply from Zyreq
  • Topic Viewed 761 times

Zyreq

Hey it's me again :p. I've never understood computer hardware and such. Recently i've been thinking about buying a new graphics card but i'm scared it won't work on my PC or i would have to buy additional equipment. Like for example, i'm scared if i get a hightec graphics card it would require my pc a new motherboard, cpu,ram, etc :(. I still don't understand anything :/. My PC specs are.....
processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 QUAD CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz 2.39 GHz
RAM:3gb
System type:64 bit windows 7 ultimate
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
MotherBoard: TP406 0TP406
My pc is a Dell XPS 420 if that helps :/.
Any help is appreciated,thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Basically one must insure that the motherboard has a Slot usually PCI or PCIe that the card will fit into and that the card comes with drivers that match your Operating System, XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.

Your motherboard has
16x, 8x, and 1x PCI-Express Slots ( 3 - PCIe slots)
3 PCI Card Slots (3 - PCI slots)

A Video card that fits one of those slots and has the appropriate drivers will work with your computer. The specs of the card will tell you it's requirements.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

High-end cards may also require a power connection. Could cause complications, so check that too, if the card requires it and if you have one.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Zyreq

Alrighty, thanks guys. Based on my motherboard and everything else, what graphics card would you recommend that is cheap but can run games from ****-2009. I'm not looking for a graphics card that makes Crysis cry, but one that can at the very least run games like CoD 4 at a normal framerate. Thanks again :).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!