I Smell A Rat !

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 429 times

Straspey

Rat at Fukushima Plant May Have Caused Blackout

March 20, 2013

TOKYO – The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant said Wednesday that it had found what it believes was the cause of an extended blackout that disabled vital cooling systems earlier this week: the charred body of a rat.

The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, said when its engineers looked inside a faulty switchboard, they found burn marks and the rodent’s scorched body. The company said it appeared that the rat had somehow short-circuited the switchboard, possibly by gnawing on cables.

The company, known as Tepco, has blamed problems with the switchboard for the power failure that began Monday, cutting off the flow of cooling water to four pools used to store more than 8,800 nuclear fuel rods. It took Tepco almost a day to restore cooling to the first of the affected pools, with cooling of the final pool resuming early Wednesday.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03.....nt.html?hp

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

It happens more often than you think. I have unloaded many pad mount transformers that were shorted out by critters ranging from squirrels to small dogs and cats that tunneled their way inside the enclosure; their crispy little bodies were the evidence supporting the diagnosis of failure. Birds landing in just the wrong place on or near overhead conductors get fried and often take out the conductor with them.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Live right next door to a nuclear power station (and I mean about 100 yards) and you see the bird things on a daily basis.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead

Bird things...?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@Kevin, now you did it. You asked:)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

What LF said at the end. But they don't even have to land. Just flying above or below the massive grid array just kills em stone dead. If they were flying above, then a fairly good chance they will drop on a conductor. (and not the sort that says "tickets please")

Posted 1 year ago

Ted16

Found a cremated mouse in a dead microwave oven once. The customer would not believe it until I showed her the remains. I think she was more upset about a mouse in house/microwave than it blowing it up. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4vXFB0J4cM

Ted :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I prefer this one :)

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Stop nicking my vids :)

Posted 1 year ago

Ted16

And I will only say that once :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

LOL

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Posted 1 year ago

Ted16

Mike , that's TWICE now :)

Ted

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

I know, both from the BBC, full of repeats!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Once upon a time, there was only 1 or 2 BBC's (still had the repeats as I recall)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.