I screwed up. BAD.

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Slembroccoli
  • Latest reply from Slembroccoli
  • Topic Viewed 987 times

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

Hello geeks!

I am running Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 as the built in admin account.
However, I wanted to run metro apps, and to do that I did something in the registry I cannot remember, but it involved setting some value that included "Administrator" from 0 to 1.

Foolish as I was, I didn't realize that that probably made the admin account a normal admin account (not built-in). This is what i SUSPECT, since I used to be able to move i.e. C:\Program Files\ folders without prompts. This bothered me, so I tried to change the advanced security settings for the account. (Right click the C:\ drive and selecting the Security tab.)

Somewhere here, I managed to remove my admin rights. Now I can not perform any admin-related action, which makes it impossible (?) to correct my mistake (I can't even open an elevated command prompt.) Sometimes there pops up a window saying "You do not have sufficient privileges" or something like that.

To make changes, need to be Admin, but I screwed up the admin account. What to do?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

How about a System Restore to a Restore point prior to your making the changes?

Posted 2 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

I can't use system restore since it is an administrator action.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Looks like a reload comming on. I think this is one of the warnings usually given to those who want to run as the Administrator account.

Posted 2 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

I booted into safe mode with CMD and added my other account to the admin group. Is there anything else I should do while in a CMD prompt?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Not that I can think of.

Posted 2 years ago

Slembroccoli
Slembroccoli

All right, reload it is! Thank you for responding, and so quickly! :) I guess I had it coming...

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!