How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - I P Address on Facebook

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ke9djx
  • Latest reply from minigeek
  • Topic Viewed 1099 times

ke9djx
ke9djx

Hello All : Does Facebook use the IP address instead of the users name ? is this how they identify the users of their site ?
Thank you !!

Rodney

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

I very much doubt it. That would mean that a user is stuck at one household and it would be impossible to log on to facebook from a public place or even move and leave somewhere else without creating a new facebook account. What led you to believe that they use IP addresses to identify their users?

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

In addition unless you have specifically paid for a permanent IP from your ISP most ISPs change your IP every couple of days.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Never could, as many homes/businesses SHARE the WAN, Wide Area Network, IP Address. All computers in my home are behind a router and and internal PRIVATE IP Addresses, but SHARE my ISP issued IP Address. If they did (Facebook or any other site) they couldn't tell which of us were trying to get on. That said, we have hit some sites that DO use the WAN IP Address on their site. Usually coupon's and such, so there could only be one per user allowed. Since we share that WAN IP Address thee have been instances where sites have told us that 'I' had already redeemed my coupon.

Irv S.

EDIT: FB does use the IP Address though to determine that a 'new' device has tried to enter your page. When you get the dialog box and enter the device name that is sent via e-mail to the registered user.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

I'm not sure about that last (EDIT) part ispalten.
Formatting, or even just clearing your history + cache (let's say with ccleaner) will erase that newly added device, forcing you to re-add it. So it must not be with IP but with cookies.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Normally I'd agree with you Afuhnk, but I get that dialog box on my iPad when I sign-in from a new connection, like the airport or someone else's home. Wouldn't happen if it were saved on the computer (does and iPad even have cookies?). Something has to be compared though from somewhere to see if this device is newly attached?

If it were cookies, I guess it would be easy to test by turning off the save of cookies? However I don't have the desire to test this.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

"However I don't have the desire to test this."

Totally agree with you.

Posted 1 year ago

minigeek
minigeek

@ispalten

Interesting. I use chrome as my main browser, and if I open an "Incognito" window, and log into Facebook, I have to sign in again, and add it as a new device.
Therefore, I would think that FB uses cookies to save each device, at least in the web version. Not sure about the iPad.

MiniGeek

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!