SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

I need to buy a new computer but am really confused.

(76 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by savvysusan
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4136 times

whs
whs

And don't forget: The Gateway service is very decent, the HP service is null ( I have 2 HP's and speak from experience - I also have a Gateway)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

One thing to add about Gateway: Since at least October 16, 2007 Gateway has been a subsidiary of Acer.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

jd, I wonder if this is good or bad. If Acer is going to "streamline" the Gateway support and move it to India too, then all bets are off. Right now the Gatway support is in South Dakota and Utah, and those people really know their stuff and are very helpful.

Posted 6 years ago

hurtingbad

whs is correct about HPs support.I do not know anything about computers and I know more than they do.I paid for a additional year of support and was able to get my money back by arguing that their support was so bad I couldn't use it.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

Why would Susan have to worry about support (or the lack of) from HP when she can just post here at HTG?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Appletom, I think there are a few good reasons:
1. If you have trouble with your hardware and need replacement units during the warrenty period, only the manufacturer can help (has happened to me with my optical reader)
2. There are always "manufacturer specifics" that you can more easily clarify with them
3. You may need a recovery disk or alike which is easy to get from Gateway, but try HP or Dell
4. The technical support people are professionals (at least at Gateway or Apple) - we are amateurs and do not know everything either
Else, the Forum can certainly be a good help for people in need.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

One other good thing to add to whs's good list of reasons: The regular posters can sometimes take from 30 minutes to a few hours to respond to a question depending on the volume of threads that day and how busy the regular posters are. In theory you should be able to get a close to immediate answer to your question by calling up the Computer Tech Support.
Edit: Though in practice the Computer Tech Support can put you on hold for a while or not get things done very fast or good.
Example: The other day on a friends new Dell computer it took Dell about an hour of troubleshooting to find out the Dell monitor was bad and then after shipping one it was found out that it was sent to the wrong address (one that didn't exist).
Called DHL and found out that apparently Dell and DHL have a policy set up so Dell has to call DHL to get an address corrected.
It took about 45-60 minutes to get Dell to correct the address and by then DHL had closed and it had to be shipped the next day.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@hurtingbad, I remember you fighting HP from an earlier posting. I am glad you put your foot down and got your money back. I have escalated their dismal operation several times to their corporate office. You then get to deal with a so called "Case Manager". Those people are trained to throw the book at you (Terms and Conditions and all the other fine print). But they could not fool me having been in the trade for 35 years (and pretty fluent in T's&C's) I knew every answer they came up with already 20 years ago. It was a slaughter - but a lot of fun. The bottom line though is, that they (HP), are useless. But they have good prices. I guess that's why we buy their stuff. For non-geeky people, however, that can become a challenge. As an aside: the only few times I got intelligent answers from them, it was women at the horn. I wonder why.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hi Susan, I looked thru the Sunday ads and found 3 alternatives. But all things considered, this is still by far the best PC for $550: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm.....o#proddesc -- the otheres that I found are:

1. Also in Circuit City there is this Acer for $350. It has a nice 5000+ processor and 320GB's of disk and 2GB's of RAM. It is a good workhorse and may do the job. http://circuitcity.shoplocal.c.....ity-080330

2. A bundle offering from Office Depot that includes a 19 inch screen (if you still have a CRT, you should trash it) for $650. It does have 3GB's of RAM and 400GB's of hard drive. The Intel processor is not the fastest but it will do the job - now again, this is including the monitor. http://officedepot.shoplocal.c.....pot-080330

3.One from Staples which comes with a free printer. It has a nice 5200+ processor, 500GB's of disk and 2GB's of RAM for $499.99 (I make the price explicit because you have to look for it on the website. The Staples ad does not bring up URL's for individual products - only for the whole ad - it's on page 7). This is not a bad deal either, especially for someone who wants the TV tuner that is included (probably does not matter for you). But it does have a WiFi which might be interesting one day for a remote printer. http://staples.shoplocal.com/s.....20Circular

In summary - if I had to buy it, I would still get the first one with the quad processor - but then I am a technical freek. As daily workhorses, the other 3 are just as fine. They will do the job. But remember, from HP you cannot expect a lot of support, but they usually have good prices. And especially, DO NOT BUY ANY EXTRA SUPPORT OPTIONS. They always like to offer that, but that's for the birds.

PS. I did not see anything worth having in Best Buy.

Posted 6 years ago

savvysusan

I got the 1st Gateway from Circuit City.

Vista is interesting but I haven't spent much time on it. I'm still setting things up.

I did not buy any extra support options. I've purchased those programs for different products several times in the past and it was completely worthless.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again. Now I have to get this up and running properly.

Thank you all!

Susan

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think you made a good choice Susan. If you encounter any roadblocks wresteling with Vista, let us know. I'm sure we can help. Have fun with your new box - and get that 22 incher - you will love it.

Posted 6 years ago

savvysusan

Hi!

I got my new computer - Gateway from Circuit City - weeks ago. Thank you for all of your help!
I love Office 2007 and Vista.

I've got most of my documents moved to the new computer.
Any tips on transfering my "favorites" to my new computer?

I haven't been able move data from the old computer to the new computer. I was using Microsoft Outlook 2000 and that's where most of the data is. Today I copied it to Excel and will try to get the information to my new computer.

I got a Belkin transfer cable and tried the Windows Easy Transfer method. More often than not the computer (my laptop also) doesn't detect the cable or proceed beyond that. I'm still working on it. I have a lot of things going on at once.

Posted 6 years ago

savvysusan

Another question.

My default email on my old computer was a comcast.net address. I viewed and sent email via Outlook Express. I have email I refer back to at times.

When I got to the Comcast website and get my mail I get email sent most recently and nothing else. Through my 2007 Outlook Express I'm defaulting to my work email and forwarding the comcast.net to that address. I there any way I can get full access to my account?

Let me know if I've confused you.

Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Glad to hear it's working for you.
If have a disc or other way to transfer things copying the favorites is easy:
A. On your old computer:
* Go to your profile directory in Windows Explorer.
The path is C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name].
* Right click on the favorites folder, move over Send To and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
* Move the new file favorites.zip to a disc or something.
B. On your new computer:
* Go to your User Files folder in Windows Explorer.
Just click start and click on the button with your user name on it at the top right.
* Move the favorites.zip file to this folder.
* Right click on favorites.zip, click Extract All, click next 2 times, click finish and now the favorites folder should appear with your favorites inside and they will show in Internet Explorer too.

Edit:
With Outlook Express the email is usually stored on the local computer.
In Windows Vista the upgrade of Outlook Express is Windows Mail.
You can import the Outlook Express mail files into Windows Mail if you have a disc to transfer them to.
I'm going offline now so I can't list how to do that at the moment.
I'll be back in about an hour and I can list how if no one else posts in the mean time.

Edit 2: I guess I have ten more minutes online. I was going to eat and now am waiting on someone else.
For moving mail and contacts if you have them from Outlook Express to Windows Mail see http://www.vista4beginners.com.....ndows-Mail

Posted 6 years ago

savvysusan

Thank you WHS and JD. I have been busy with work so no time to get on the forum.

I think my comcast broadband is causing link issues and slow speeds. I'm encountering it on three computers.

I really want that 22" Monitor but that's on hold. I have to sell a few more trips before I can get it.

I did get a new printer (cable on old one not compatible with new computer and adapters were nowhere to be found). It's an updated version of my old printer for $79 at Costco. I paid $500 for the old all-in-one printer.

Thanks again!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Nice to hear from you. I am afraid with the comcast problem we cannot really help. But maybe it's worth testing your line speed with this program http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest Then at least you know whether there is a speed issue. Because I don't think anything could slow down your quad core. It's really ashame you have to look at it with this old banger of a monitor. What printer did you get and did you check the cost of the cartridges. Here is a place to get them cheaper - maybe worth it because print cartridges can really run into money http://www.re-inks.com/. See you soon!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!