SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

I need help how to get my desktop with all the Icons and taskbar to start up??

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by moondogy
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 974 times

moondogy

Hello This is my 1st post. I hope some ppl can help me to figure out my Vista home premium 32 bite computer. It Has 2 cores at 1.9Ghz, and 2 Gbs Ram, directx 11, IE9, and I'm using Avast anti-virus and computer is gateway GM5420. I got this computer 5 years ago and its always run great. I always used the windows tools to clean things up, when needed. Then I was at cnet and saw all these Utilities to clean up my files and computer about 6 months ago. So I installed CCleaner, Glary utilities, ASC 6.0.8 and slimcleaner too. So I started to use these cleaners and the 1st thing I noticed was I can not use my System Restore any more at all.!! So when I'm in a bind I always used System Restore a few days back and that always solved my computer problems!!
1st ,I would like to know step by step how to get System Restore to work again?? And 2ed ,after I sign into Vista using my password then the next thing that always happened was my desktop and all the Icons and taskbar would always start up. And Now for the last month for some reason, all I get is a blank screen or black screen. And the only way I can use the computer now, to get online is by starting up my task manager and click on start a new task? Then I type in C:\users\public\desktop\ and then a small window opens up and I can scroll down and see all my desktop icons there and then I can use IE9 or Chrome or Firefox to get online and it works ok then. I'm not very good with computers so please tell me what to do step by step so I can fix both of these problems?? And I don't have the Install vista CD any more so I can't wipe out every thing and start all over with a install Vista CD or DVD. I hope some ppl can help me to fix both of these problems? Its driving me nuts why my desktop and Icons and Taskbar wont open up at start up? And I hope to get the System Restore function to work again too? Thanks for reading all this and helping me.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rebuild the icon cache - AND STAY AWAY FROM ALL THOSE CLEANERS - except CCleaner. http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....build.html

Posted 1 year ago

moondogy

Hello whs, Thanks for the help with the link. I forgot to say when I start computer in any safe mode, all the Icons are on the desktop with the START BUTTON AND TASKBAR will come up, but I just can't get online in safe mode. And when I let it start up normally nothing comes up on the screen. No start button or task bar or screen saver or the icons.. So doing this link fix, will my start button and taskbar come back to??! And When I download the link in normal start mode, it does not show up on desktop because I said every thing is gone, even my desktop screen saver is gone and task bar and start button are gone to. It says i can try to do this manually but like I said i have no start button to use in normal start mode to try to do the fix when there are no Icons on the desktop. So now do I try to do the link fix manually in safe mode ( but in safe mode all the icons are there) So in safe mode I'm afraid to try to do this fix in safe mode because it mite screw up the desktop and icons that are there in the safe mode?? And How do I fix the SYSTEM RESTORE function that worked for years but now its wont work right. And I can bring up system restore window but it just wont do anything to go back in time to fix the computer like it used to. Its broken, there must be a file or 2 missing from the system restore function or can I delete it all and where can I go and find the program to re-install the system restore?? I hope you know both of the problems and how to fix? OR anyone can give me any ideas, Thanks for all your help guy's

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

One thing to try is to go into safe mode. With the Command Prompt type: msconfig. in the startup tab uncheck all items. Restart. If that solves the problem then begin to add back in only those items that you are positive you need to start.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi is right. That's what I was just going to say. Try that and report back. Your additional information suggests that some startup program is throwing a monkey wrench into the system.

Btw: there is safe mode with internet.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

One other thought is there should be a backup revcovery option for all those registry cleaners you have used. If the msconfig suggestion doesn't correct your problem you might want to restore one backup at a time then check your System Restore to see if it is working and you might find your desktop icons might start working again. If the icons are still not working then use the above rebuild instructions.
Caution, only restore one registry backup from one software then make sure your system is running ok, if not then recover another backup.
I have trialed several registry cleaners and everyone will find something that the one before missed. Pretty soon you will have deleted so many registry entries your system becomes unstable and you will find several parts of windows doesn't work.
If you feel you must use a registry cleaner only use one. The recommended is Ccleaner.

Posted 1 year ago

moondogy

To Xhi and whs, I started in safe mode with command prompt, then Administrator window opens with cmd.exe on the window. Then C:\windows\system32\> then I type in msconfig and I click on the start up tab I uncked all the files that were there. Then it said to restart ( like you said to do)so i did and then after i singed into open my windows the same blank screen is there. So i got task manager to open to see if my Avast was working and it was so then i clicked on chrome to get online to come back to this forum to say uncking all the things in the start up tab did not fix one thing. I still have no desktop with screen saver and then no Icons and no start button and no taskbar. so now what am i supposed to do now. like I said be for, I do not have a Vista home premium 32 bite DVD to re-load vista up from a new install again. plus i don't want to wipe every thing because of all my pictures and extra... would be wiped away too. So what do i do now to get the desktop to start up like it used too. should i try doing what germ-x said. Man that would take for ever because of all the whole computer cleaners i have used and all the registry cleaners i have used the last 6 months. be for i installed those cleaners they all said they clean up your system and it will work better, so I used one cleaner be for i shut down computer each day so the next time i turn it back on it should work better. then one day a month or so ago all my desktop is gone with all the icons are gone and the start button and taskbar are all gone. so Like germ-x said using them to much gets rid of registry files i need so the computer will work right. Its driving me nuts why this happened in the 1st place and what can we do to get my vista computer to start up normal and the desktop and every thing should work right like it did the last 5 years . So do I used safe mode with command prompt and re-ck every thing in start tab?? and after re-cking all the files except 2 or 3 I dont need then let computer to start up to see if desktop come back? Be for i un-cked them all and did the restart like you said every thing there except 2 or 3 files i could do with out, every thing else were important files so the computer will work right. ok I hope you guys can help me out some more, thanks for all your help??

Posted 1 year ago

moondogy

So now one has any Ideas now or what??

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

First of all, please use paragraphs in your posts (press ENTER twice). They are barely readable now.

I do recommend reinstalling the whole Windows Vista, since it would be much quicker than trying to repair whatever is broken. You can backup all your files to an external HDD from Safe Mode. You might have a recovery partition (this depends on the manufacturer), check if you have a "Repair my computer" entry next to the "Safe Mode" entry at the boot options. If you don't have a recovery partition, you can reinstall Windows Vista with official media following these instructions:
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....28AskVG%29

Only Windows Vista Ultimate is available, and only in English, French and German (I would always recommend choosing English anyways, even if you speak German). Get the three files for "Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1". Link with instructions on how to create the bootable USB is in the same webpage. Once the Windows Vista install USB is created, if you need to install a non-Ultimate version, delete the two lines near the bottom of the \Sources\Inf\SETUP.CFG file in the USB. They look like this:

[DefaultImageSelection]
Value=VFWBB-HAJJV-G996G-QWGJY-2V7X9

More info about this: http://jimcofer.com/personal/?p=6119

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!