The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

I messed up my hard disk...

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Niks
  • Latest reply from Niks
  • Topic Viewed 1141 times

Niks

Guys, i posted a forum 2-3 days back, now i have a much bigger problem with my hard disk... what i did was I encrypted my data using Bit locker drive encription in my external Westernal Digital hard disk which did not proceeded after 49%. then i thought to remove the bit locker protection. when i started it, it ran smoothly. But after some time i found my computer had restarted automatically and i got a blue screen. Since from then, the computer is not reading my hard disk. It is being shown in "device manager" and "safety remove hardware", but is not there in " my computer"... what to do? hard disk is not even working in other system as well... please help me out as i m having a 200Gb of important data in it...

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

I dont want to lose my data. I tried a "seagate recovery software" for recovering my data, but i was not having 200Gb of space to save it. Thus, i recovered 30Gb of data. But, my bad luck, the data recovered was "ENCRYPTED"...!! This is the recovery report. I dont know what's this...

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I'm not sure what you have but I suspect the recovery program works a lot like CHKDSK. The red items are files it could recover. Have you tried looking at them? They probably either binary data or text. Text you should be able to know the name of the file from contents and could rename the file? Binary, well, that would be a lot harder.

What is the name of s/w used to get the data off? Does it have a HELP?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

Any help will be highly appreciated...

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

@ispalten, when i recovered some of those "red" files, they were text files... i don't know what are they. I think these are encrypted files of my data...:(

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Encrypted files can not be read, that is even if text files, appear as clear text.

What s/w did you use to recover the disk?

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

Its "seagate file recovery for windows"...

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I would check with Seagate then and see what it did? It seems it read what it could off the disk and wrote it somewhere. Did it delete the files off the disk or create new ones and/or rename it? Matter of fact, are you even sure it would work on a WD drive without getting something wrong?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

yup... i'm dead sure it can do it. but the problem is with my data. It's encrypted.
Yesterday i tried running my hard disk on a ubuntu OS. It worked fine and no problems(unlike in windows 7). But what i saw was that my data was encrypted. I can recover it, but of no use, since its encrypted....

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

is there any other way i can decrypt my data on any other OS rather than on windows?

Posted 5 years ago

Niks

Guys, any comments or any ideas to get my data decrypted? I'm still in trouble, since my harddisk is not working in other systems as well...

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.