The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) ~ I lost Microsoft Wordpad...

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by May
  • Latest reply from techgranny
  • Topic Viewed 2206 times

May

Hi. So my husband installed Microsoft works on my computer. And I guess it has microsoft word processor on it or something. Well my hubby said that since he installed those programs, that it automatically removed my wordpad somehow.

But the weird thing is, I can still open up my documents that are saved as wordpad documents and it will open up the wordpad program. I can even start up a new text document in my wordpad and everything like the program is still on my computer.

BUT I had the wordpad shortcut in my start menu and when I cliked it, it said the program couldnt be found. And when I search for wordpad on my computer it wont bring the program up.

I am using windows vista.

So why is it not showing up on my computer at all, but yet I can still open up my wordpad documents? Like I said... when I open up a saved wordpad document it does open the wordpad program.

What do I do to find this program on my computer??? How can I get it back??

Please help!!!

Thanks =)

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Hi May, can you find it in Start>All Programs>Accessories? If not, we'll have to figure this one out. I don't know what I would do without my wordpad!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

May, on my Vista system, wordpad.exe is in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories. Do you see it there?

I have MS Works and Wordpad here, so they are not mutually exclusive. I would not expect the Works installer to remove Wordpad, but it might change the file type association. I don't see a way to uninstall Wordpad from Programs and Features or Windows Features.

Posted 5 years ago

May

Its not under Accessories like it should be Techgranny. Thats why I dont know what has happened to it. =( Im like you... I NEED MY WORDPAD!!! lol.

ScottW if it does change the file type association (I dont even know what that means haha) but does that make it dissapear so that I cant find it anywhere even when I do a search? And how would I go about finding it?

=)

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

May, ScottW is right. In the search box on the Start Menu, type-in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories. It should be there and you can pin it back to your Start Menu or create a shortcut! (I don't ever want to lose my wordpad...remember that ScottW:)

Posted 5 years ago

May

Oh holy shit I didnt understand what he wanted me to do lol. YAY!!!!! I got it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think ScottW answered my last question I had too. YOU ARE THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!

Also Thanks Techgranny for helping me understand. You are just as awesome!!!

=)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

May, hooray! I'm glad you got your Wordpad back. Sometimes we need folks like Techgranny to interpret what we geek-types say. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

May

lol, nah im just slow...

Hahahaha!

Thanks again. =)

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

ScottW is the brains behind the operation:) Both of you and your families have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.