SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

I have Netbook, no CD/DVD Drive, Can I copy XP on a 8gb Stick, and install XP ?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by graham1024uk
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 758 times

graham1024uk

I have just had my HD replaced, and the repair company put Vista on even though I had XP on before. Im sick of Vista, so my question is, as I have no CD drive on my netbook, can I put xp on a dongle, and replace Vista, and change boot preferences in the BIOS, so rather booting from HD it does it from the stick, and installs XP??? Please let me know as I dont want to start it, and I mess it up. anyones help would be great.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi Graham. Any help ?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/.....lash-drive

Posted 1 year ago

graham1024uk

LOL......kind of, that webpage is super helpfulish, I seriously thought I was very computer literate but after reading that, im not, I understood it till halfway down and I got bit lost, If its going to be this tax i might reluctantly leave Vista..........on there, Im so use to using XP, VISTA really is that bad, links dont click, Netbook freezes if Vista has to think to hard, Ive got into a bad habit of talking to Vista out loud, as if it was a school pupil I never liked ;-)

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi you could try purchasing a USB CD external drive, you can pick them up cheap enough and install it from the CD

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

There is a good chance that a netbook that came with Vista won't run XP because XP drivers may not be available. Also, XP's support will end 04/14/2014. Unless you have a legal copy of XP already knocking about, you may want to start saving your pennies for a Win7 or Win8 machine (don't ask me to recommend one OS over the other since there are too many variables that could affect your decision).

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you want a free option for the next 3 months, install the free Windows8 Release Preview. http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....se-preview

Posted 1 year ago

graham1024uk

Im sorry i did not make clear, it came with XP got serial underneath netbook, but HD failed so when i sent my net fixed he put Vista on. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Actually, you did make it clear. I wasn't paying attention.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!