How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - I have an OpenDNS / Router Question

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from gregoryshock125
  • Topic Viewed 6290 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Before my readers say "go to the OpenDNS forums" Please hear me out. I just got a new computer and a new Internet Service Provider. So I went to OpenDNS and I talked to my ISP (online tech chat) to find out if OpenDNS and them are compatible. They are, however... In the OpenDNS forums it was suggested that I set my DNS IP in the router. I discovered that the router/modem that my ISP sent me doesn't support DNS. One guy, who is on the same ISP, suggested that I buy router and set it up for OpenDNS. Nobody told me how to set up two routers. I have some questions. 1) How do you connect two routers together? And 2) Will running a second router slow my internet down?

*Note: I don't want to run the OpenDNS computer client, if I don't haft too. Besides that method didn't work with my old ISP, they kept changing something and it caused the IP stuff to fail.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

What you need to do is called 'BRIDGING'. That essentially means turn the first router into a modem and sending that signal (WAN IP Address) to your own 2nd router which does all the work.

All routers have a different way of doing this and different settings. If you don't see a setting that calls it that, contact your ISP's support line and ask how.

On some ISP routers ONCE you do this you can't access it again. I've heard of some ISP routers that also during a power drop reset. Talk to your ISP.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

*Note I blocked out my last name out for privacy. If I understand this right my ISP already said they are not going to help me with this.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Have you actually entered the router firmware interface and looked for the place to insert the DNS numbers? It really is not that hard.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://use.opendns.com/

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

DNS is the DOMAIN NAME SERVER (I assume you know this but...). Every ISP has its own.

My router page looks like this :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All I'd need do is not get it automatically and then fill in the OpenDNS IP Addresses.

I'm sure your router from your ISP, if you have access to it, has similar pages. What is your router make and model?

If you don't or can't get access, then you must set it in the TCP/IP properties, which will override the ISP's set of DNS.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Problem with mine: It seems that it doesn't have a place to put DNS numbers.

I made screen shots to show the guys on the OpenDNS forums. It is difficult to show every corner of the settings provided by my modem/router. If what I show isn't enough please request more. And I'll make more pictures.

In order to save time and energy I showed the places I thought it might be first. That place was in the "Advanced Settings", But One of the guy's in the forum wanted to see "Main" first. I made screen shots showing everything under the top headings. Then I showed more stuff under the "Advanced Settings" because I think, if it's under anything It would be under that. Besides all that, it was the only place where I could find anything called "DNS"

*Note: I blocked out the IP addressed for Privacy.

SCREEN SHOTS FROM ACROSS THE TOP:

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

UNDER THE ADVANCED SETTINGS

* I would like to know what is a "DHCP" ?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The modem/router is a Netgear 7550

As far as I can tell there isn't very much information about this thing. Here is a link to the best site I found so far:
http://joesfrontier.com/news/f.....sl-router/

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It is the range of valuer that is given to those devices signing into the router. Whan a device signs in to the router it receives an IP from the router.

Although it looks different than what I have seen I would put one of the Open DNS IPs (208.67.222.222 ) in the DNS Entry IP slot. Put it in, reboot everything and put in an erroneous URL and see if Open DNS comes up. Can't hurt you can always take it out.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I agree with Xhi.

I'd also move the Security up to at least Medium. Gives you problems, lower it one.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Do you think I should give it a host name?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

No.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I beg to differ Xhi, I think it has to be done. If nothing else, that is the name that will appear on the list and then you know for sure what it is and can make it the DEFAULT. Right now DSLROUTER is set, and I suspect it it is the address of the router, but it doesn't have a DNS server running which could be part of the problem, unless it picks it up from the WAN connection. I'd sure like to know what that IP Address is but its blacked out.

Question Gregory, have you even tried looking at the HELP (?)? It might explain what it is and needs to be done.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I haven't tried anything yet. But I am almost ready to try the suggestion. I'm posting my answer to ispalten's question. "have you even tried looking at the help?" The Answer is Yes but I couldn't remember doing it. After looking it over, I realized the reason why I couldn't remember doing it. There doesn't seem to be any information of value.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Just to point out, I agree with blocking your IP etc but I take it you know if you click on your name on the the left of the postings it gives all info you give HTG

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Do you get a different help on the DNS page?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Owen I think your comment is a little off topic, but I am aware that any information you share anywhere online isn't ever truly private. We do the best we can. Like others on here. I am also registered with other websites, it is difficult to remember what information I've shared. On some sites I have my full name, though not many. On others I have only my screen name. I think sometimes I'm over cautious and other times not cautious enough. But it's apart of being human.

ispalten, Thank you for your help :) I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to get back with you. I'm sorry that the WAN IP is Blocked out in my screen shots. I'm sure not every IP is a security risk, but I don't know which one's are safe, and which one's aren't. That's why I blocked them all out. If you or anyone else here can prove to me that the WAN IP is safe to show, I will gladly show it to you. You asked if the Help changes under the DNS page or not. The answer is yes. But I wouldn't have ever guessed it would. Though it still doesn't give any detailed information. They might as well have called "Help" "Term Definitions"

Posted 2 years ago

owen123
owen123

Fair Point, Just wanted to alert you to that.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I put in one of the openDNS numbers, then I flushed my DNS, Cache etc, then rebooted. The only 2 things I haven't tried is, turning off the modem/router, and back on. And I haven't tried the second openDNS number. So far what I tried didn't work at all. :( I think the man in the openDNS forums is right, this router can't be configured for openDNS.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Router DOESN'T care what DNS numbers you enter. 2 are generally used as one is a back-up in case the first one is down.

The REAL test is to do a PING to some site... any www.xxxx.com site, like PING WWW.CNN.COM.

If you have a DNS connection, you'll get a response with the 4 octet numbers on the first line, like

Pinging www.cnn.com [157.166.255.18] with 32 bytes of data:

if you get that it can't find it, then you have NO DNS connections.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!