(Solved) - I have an OpenDNS / Router Question

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from gregoryshock125
  • Topic Viewed 6290 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Irv S.

I will give this another try and report back. =)

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I went back to openDNS's website and tried to sign up again. I did this because I'm getting confused with the way they have things layed out. Anyways it doesn't appear that I was able to sign up again. I used a new email address which I just created. I put that in, and continued to where they gave me a list of Routers. I found Netgear, because mine is a Netgear. Then I found the IP they wanted me to put in. I followed what you guys suggested, and put it in there. I flushed the dns, and cleared my cache then rebooted for a test. Here is a screen shot. I'm not sure if openDNS is working or not. For one thing, it isn't blocking any XXX sites (Which is the main reason why I want to use it). But the webpages seem to be uploading faster.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I did get the firewall turned on.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You are really confusing me with the blockouts... If they are DNS numbers, WHO CARES or can do anything. It is nice to be cautious, but you could be overdoing it. The MODS will protect you and remove anything you shouldn't post.

So I am confused as I don't know HOW that page works that you are showing? Like I said, I can NOT find a manual for that router... seems to be a special ISP issue. If you KNOW of a link to the manual, please post it.

What confuses me is that I see a 'SET' for a DSL ROUTER, 4 black lines through IP Addresses, which I assume are OTHER DNS's, and then the OPENDNS line.

If all these are DNS's, then ONLY the first one is in effect. I'll assume the first line means use the ROUTER to be your DNS server and then it will use the ONE underneath it. All DNS's have 2 IP addresses usually, one as the main one and another as a backup. Google uses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for instance, and my ISP has two.

If I *AM* correct, then you'll have to DELETE the ones above OPENDNS to use it. Again, understanding what the page is and how used would surely help, as would what those red x's are for, as well as the choices for DSLROUTER (what happens when you press SET?).

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

Irv S.

I am sorry it took me a Month to get back with you.

I finally got around to looking at the page again. I am not sure if it's safe for me to post these numbers or not. But I can tell you one thing about them. They are all the same. In fact they are the same number as the number I put into my browser to log into this modem/router. 192.168.254.254. Do you think it would be ok to delete these numbers out?

I am also deeply sorry that I have not been able to give you a link to a manual. The reason for this is I have already done searches for a Manual and so far have found nothing. Once again Please accept my apologies. But it seems that the Manual does not exist. Or if it does only the manufacture or ISP has it somewhere for their own usage.

Posted 1 year ago

RichStevenson

I'm trying accomplish the same thing with the Netgear 7550 provided by Frontier. I opened a chat with them asking if it's possible to change the public DNS servers that the router/modem uses. And he insisted that it is a setting in the web interface that can be changed, but also insisted that he could not tell me where that setting is. He also asked why I wanted to change it, and when I told him OpenDNS, he tried selling me there security package $6 per month. Now I know why they don't support changing the settings. I have been through this router numerous times, and cannot find where I can set the DNS servers. Never had a problem with other routers. On another note, here's a screenshot of the DNS settings being discussed. It's nothing more than a local DNS service running on the router for us to create A records in. It's default domain is netgear.com, but that can be changed. So if I typed http://dslrouter.netgear.com it resolves and takes me to the web interface of the router.

Posted 1 year ago

RichStevenson

Guess I can't post pictures yet... Here's the link
http://www.richstevenson.com/F.....ultDNS.JPG

Posted 1 year ago

RichStevenson

Well just as soonn as I posted, I went back and found where to change the DNS servers. LOL

Click My Connected Home > Network Connections > and click the Action icon next for Broadband Connection(DSL).
Under the VCs section, click the Edit icon for PPPoE.
Under the PPPoE Settings you'll see the Primary and Secondary DNS sever settings that can be changed.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

RickStevenson - Thank You!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!