The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

I have a laptop with win 7 and a pc with vista ultimate. trying to network two

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by smthdeedog48
  • Latest reply from calebstein
  • Topic Viewed 662 times

smthdeedog48

I have laptop with win 7 and a PC with vista ultimate and for the life of me can't network the two, so I can use the printer on the PC. I done all file sharing checks in the network sharing center on both machines. Installed drivers for the printer on the laptop as well. Still no joy, well at my wits end could with any advice in resolving this issue thanks. The printer is connected to the PC, both the PC and the laptop on the same network wirelessly. Is this a compatibility issue?

Posted 4 years ago

calebstein
calebstein

If you have Ethernet, you could set up an ad-hoc network between them. You would only need one Ethernet cable though because, to my understanding, if a computer has Ethernet and is connected to and ad-hoc network, it will share the Ethernet wirelessly over the ad-hoc. So if you create an ad-hoc network on a computer with Ethernet and connect the other computer to the ad-hoc network, they will both be on the same network and be able to network share. The only downfall is that the computers can't be more than 30ft apart.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.