SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - I get a name change on some of my desktop folders - I didn't make the change

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by deGenova
  • Latest reply from deGenova
  • Topic Viewed 634 times

deGenova

Can someone help me to understand this? I get this name change on some of my desktop folders -

A phone # and an AOL email address is the name of the folder change - spelled exactly as its written here ---> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - This example is the 6th folder name/change out of six times that it has occurred in the past couple of months, but I only noticed it today.

I called the 610 phone number (with my caller ID blocked) and a woman answered - I explained it and she got her husband and he had no idea about it. They were legit. They lived in a town about 20 miles from me.

I did not write to the aol address...............I did SuperAntiSpyware and there wasn't much there. 19 tracking adware type items - harmless - deleted.

I am doing another scan now - Malwarebytes is in progress (25 tracking items so far - after 1 hour) -

Any help out there ? Like what does it mean when a normal desktop folder name is changed like that (several times) out of the blue?
thank you...........

Edit: since the phone number is real I'm blocking out some of the numbers per policy -- GMod

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1

Sort Reviews by: Date or Rating

Holly

Feb 5, 2012

beckyd

Holly was very accomadating when I was late for my appointment.
Please change my email from xxxxx@aol.com to parryxx@aol.com
Becky

- 10 months ago

http://www.demandforced3.com/b....._rev=95041

westchester pa

one link i found

Edit: Real email address blocked out per policy. -- GMod

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

BB1 .......I don't quite understand ......could you please explain for me?
Meanwhile I will click the link .thank you

Do you think it's harmless? Btw. The town was Doylestown PA when I called the number.

I saw the comment in the link
5.0Holly Feb 5, 2012
beckyd
Please change my email from xxx@aol.com to parryxx@aol.com
Becky Desmond

- 10 months ago

Real email address blocked out per policy -- GMod

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1

the email addy links to a salon in weschester pennsylvania

did a "find person " " by phone number " ( reverse lookup on yp.com ) came up with an exact hit not sure i can post info in here as that surely would be against the rules but that number does exist in pennsylvania

i get it in Downingtown, PA

harmless ? ya never know !

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

BB1......yea I called and they seem alright .....yes is was Doylestown pa

Should I do a Clean install ? Or was it just a weird computer glitch?

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1

For sake of sanity........ (personally i would) but thats me . does seem quite odd though. back up all the important stuff just in case. reason i say this is if you restore to an earlier point & this does not cure it, the only other road is a fresh install. hang tight im sure a mod or another more experienced member might chime in & have a better idea! COME ON SENIOR MEMBERS/MODS ........ what would you do in this case?

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

Right......I meant to say clean install ......OK I'll hang In there.

The Malwarebytes scan is done with no Trojans etc. only adware.

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

how do you know that the adware is "harmless" I do not consider anything pointed out to me by an anti-virus (or alike) software to be harmless. Since you've deleted those which were found and then ran the scan again and found more I'd suspect that you have a worm so you need to get rid of infected files. You should either start the system in the safe mode so that the bare minimum of services are ran (and the worm software will most probably be inactive) or turn off "system restore" on all of the drives. regardless of which after you've done that scan again and delete all the infected files. (turn system restore back on after, if you've gone with that option)

regarding the problem itself... it's hard to tell if some of these malwares/adwares were responsible for the change. But remove them completely and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does... well at least you'll have a cleaner pc.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Before doing the clean install or restore point if you rt click on one of the folders then properties do you see any other location it might be lurking. Sometimes you can scroll through all your temp folders and find the culprit. You should add all your temp folders to CCleaner so each time you ( which should be when your finished with browsing the net) clean all temp locations are cleaned.

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

OK RRR and Germ.........I'll follow instructions now - I just woke up.........and saw your posts.

BTW..........I think I am using the wrong term........."Tracking Cookies" is what the scans had found........

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

Just Used CCCleaner again...........Yesterday I used Super Anti Spyware (which I use regularly btw) AND MBam - Only tracking cookies have been found so far all scans. -

Did MBam again this a.m. in SafeMode ........... no malicious files found.........

I checked System Restore points and that will not do me any good. The earliest name/change folder I saw was in October.......Restore points only go back to Nov 20.....I am not inclined to use that anyway for a worm...... if that's what this anamoly really points to.

ADVICE ???- Has anyone heard of this happening before???
And ......would any expert here do a "Clean Install"? That seems a bit radical at this point huh? I could be wrong though.

12/7/2012 8:18:59 AM
mbam-log-2012-12-07 (08-18-59).txt
Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Detected: 0
Registry Keys Detected: 0
Registry Values Detected: 0
Registry Data Items Detected: 0
Folders Detected: 0
Files Detected: 0
(end)

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

A search of the phone number and the email address brings up the following results;

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en.....38;bih=502

From the multiple links, do any mean anything to you?

This could root out the problem

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Check your connection settings to make sure proxys have not been put in place and downloaded something dodgy.

What is the name of your ISP ?

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

VM......link 1 was my search yesterday - link 2 is the person I called last night at the 610 # in the changed folder - they are in Doylestown PA near to my home in Philly - they were nice people and knew nothing.

GIFT SHOP - Downingtown Area Historical Society
www.downingtownareahistoricals.....ft%20Sh... - United States
Noted below are gift items you can purchase from the Downingtown Area Historical Society. You can place an order by calling Parry Desmond at 610-269-8037 ...

Second link also refers to this - Avante hair Salon and we found this - where we found this - parry37@aol.com

5.0Holly Feb 5, 2012
beckyd
Please change my email from xxx@aol.com to parry37@aol.com
Becky Desmond - 10 months ago

GS My ISP is comcast ........your IP Address is: 71.224.225.216 NO Proxy Detected

I do not know enough to understand all this --;"Check your connection settings to make sure proxys have not been put in place" and downloaded something dodgy.

What is the name of your ISP ?

So - we know the identity of the people referenced in the file name that was changed -HERE - (610-2xx-8037 or Parryxx@aol.com)

but they are NOT the culprits = IF there even is a CULPRIT...............

Edit: Real address and phone blocked per policy. -- GMod

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

It's OK you have answered the question with - Comcast and No Proxy Detected.

Have you recently downloaded any software/Toolbars ?

Are these Desktop folders Shortcuts ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Wanted to block the phone number so the nice folks who's number it is won't receive unwanted phone calls. There are sufficient links in this post to other forums where it can be found for discussion purposes.

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

GS....yes recently.........but I end up deleting everything because of their sneaky methods. .........sometimes I'll dnld something and they SNEAK the toolbars and desktop shortcuts in ....I forget the names off hand.

I think I am going to stop all online downloads in the future.........

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

VISTAMIKE FROM THIS - LINK http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en.....38;bih=502 see below from your post above.

FOUND SOMETHING - I did searches yesterday on Boo Boo Hoff a former Phila mobster..........PARRY DESMOND is writing a book on Boo Boo Hoff. I think there just must have been a glitch ON MY DESKTOP.

By Parry Desmond, Feature Articles 359 - AmericanMafia.com
www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_359.html
Parry Desmond is writing a book about Boo Boo Hoff. If you have more information about Hoff, please contact Desmond at Parry37@aol.com.
==================================================================================================================
YOUR POST FROM ABOVE THE ANSWER was in link #2

A search of the phone number and the email address brings up the following results;
From the multiple links, do any mean anything to you?
This could root out the problem

ITS odd that one of the name/changed folders went back to OCT 20 :)

Thank you very much for all your detective work...........now I do not ahve to worry about it............

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

So is this solved ?

Posted 1 year ago

deGenova

GS .......yes I marked you earlier post as the solution.............thank you

Now I am going to call him back and give him some help for his research of the mobster........:)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.