The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - i don't even know what the problem is

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kittymeow
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 758 times

kittymeow

Hi, I'm new here (meaning I just made an account but have been lurking around every time I had computer trouble. This time however, I couldn't find anything that resembles the trouble I'm currently experiencing) and I'm hoping if anyone can help me or tell me if I should just throw my laptop against the wall.

I've had my printer (details below) for over a year now, and never had any trouble with it. A few days ago, I needed to print something but wasn't able to (I can't remember what the error said, it didn't happen again) so I uninstalled the printer and re-installed it by downloading the drivers from the HP website. Pop-up balloon said that it wasn't successfully installed and when I would try to install the driver by going to print management and click on Printers I would get: "An error has occurred on the script of this page. Line: 40. Char: 21. Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'SetPrinterName'. Code: 0. URL: res://C:\Windows\system32\pmcsnap.dll/81". So I clicked on Drivers instead and tried to install the driver there and it said: windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error.

Do understand that I have no idea what I'm doing whenever my computer doesn't behave as it is supposed to, and everything is done by trial and error; mostly error. For some reason I felt the need to do a chkdsk /f /r which was scheduled on the next restart, but upon restart my computer refused to do it because a recently installed software prevented it to do so (again, I don't remember the exact error it showed since it all went so fast) and advised me to System Restore. When I wanted to do a System Restore I was told to chkdsk first. [They're just like my parents when I was a kid. Dad: Go ask your mom. Mom: Go ask your dad.] So I was stuck again, and didn't know what to do.

I uninstalled the printer again, and tried to do the chkdsk again. This time, it did do the chkdsk but the whole screen was filled with "File record segment xxxx unreadable". At part 5/5 it gave up and said "An unspecified error occurred", after that it would reboot and I got into a bootloop of chkdsk ending with "An unspecified error occurred" every single time.

Can anybody tell me what's happening?
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Neo X2 Dual Core Processor L335, AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1919 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152521 MB, Free - 99230 MB; D: Total - 152620 MB, Free - 27745 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, MS1243X
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 5.2, Updated and Enabled

Printer: HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2060 k110a
Laptop: msi u230 light

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi kitty ,

Welcome to HTG ,

I'm assuming you are using 2 drives one internal and one external, try removing the external drive then start your computer and see if all goes well.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Follow these instructions to get to a command prompt in a recovery environment (and backup your files if needed):
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

In that command prompt, run this command:
chkntfs /x C:

This will cancel the scheduled scan on C:, please report if this works for you.

Posted 1 year ago

kittymeow

Hi! Thanks for replying!
Guiltyspark: i don't have an external hard disk.
Ruja: chkdsk isn't the problem. I get a countdown before it begins so i can cancel it. I just want my printer to work again, if that is posssible. (:

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

It seems to me, if you are getting pages full of Chkdsk errors, the OS is in trouble and corrupted especially if system restore is telling you to run chkdsk. It looks like a repair install or clean install is in order. The problem's bigger than your printer software which is probably malfunctioning due to this.

Maybe one of the other guys will chime in on this but that's what it looks like to me.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

kittymeow

Hello tony! Thanks for replying! That's what i'm thinking, too. But if i do a clean install, it will be second time this year. Could it be that my hard drive is failing? Is there a way to check if it's the hard drive or the OS that's in trouble? I really don't want to spend money on a new hard drive if my current hard drive is still ok. :p

Kitty

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Can you find the make and model of your hard drive and I'll look for the diagnostic tool for it?

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

@stringjunky theres a few of them here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Vis

I read somewhere that it's best to use the manufacturer's bespoke tool if possible. When I used one for mine (hitachi) it told me that my drive had been subjected to shock...which was true! I'd dropped it. Amazing! :D

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

understood.
well at least OP is being proactive and posting back. so shouldnt be too long before they post back with that info.

@ kittymeow, this will help getting the info for that hdd : http://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

edit: jus read a little more of the info above and now realize that specc wont help much in this case if op cant get in.
[face palm - didnt read] : /

Posted 1 year ago

kittymeow

Western digital. Not sure what the model is, but can check that later when i get home.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Read the instructions and download the tool.. Extract and Right-click the Setup file and choose Run As Administrator. Choose the quick test first and if it passes choose the extended one...which will take a good while. The download link is under "Release Notes"

http://support.wdc.com/product.....38;lang=en

You could do a memory test as well: http://www.softpedia.com/progD.....-9423.html Will also take a few hours so pick your time and don't have anything else open.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If your system was running ok other than your printer problem then it could be you downloaded corrupted printer drivers.
Why is this the 2nd time you had to reinstall windows?
Can you boot into safe mode?
If you have been getting errors or the BSOD lately then your O/S, ram and or your hdd.

Posted 1 year ago

kittymeow

Never mind guys. Now, when i open windows i immediately get "explorer.exe - application error. The instruction at 0xf9308a87 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate program." When i click ok it pops up again. And that's all i could do on my computer today. I'll just throw it against the wall. No, jk. I'll just bring it to the shop.

Thanks for replying everyone, sorry i had to bother you.

Kitty

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yep. Looks like you got a hardware problem...hope you get sorted

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.