The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

i cant see videos on you tube

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Craziboy135
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 6017 times

Craziboy135

each time i try to watch a video on you tube it says "u have javascript turned off or an old version adobe flash player and when i install the new version of adobe flash player it says the same thing and i dont know how to turn on javascript.

Posted 6 years ago

Santo

Try a different browser. Check You Tube videos in Firefox browser.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

What browser do you have?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

And if you are using Firefox, do you have the NoScript add on? If so you will need to allow you tube to run scripts.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

If using IE7 go into tools-internet options
then look through the advanced tab, see if there's anything in there disabling stuff
also the privacy or the security tab may have something to do with it - it may be blocking the videos

Posted 6 years ago

Craziboy135

i have internet explorer 7 im going to try firefox

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Use version 2 of Firefox, not 3

Posted 6 years ago

Santo

You may try Firefox 2 or Opera. If both fails to work create a new admin user account and try to access Youtube videos from it. This should work.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Funny, but IE7 doesn't call it Javascript but "Active Scripting". Guess they are still not fond of Sun Microsystems. It's controlled in the Security settings. I have my Internet zone set to medium-high, and YouTube plays fine. If I move security level to high, I get the same error message as the OP.

If you don't have a security level preference, I suggest you click the button "Reset all zones to default level". If youtube.com is a favorite of yours, you could add it to your Trusted Sites zone. Here's a page with some great caps of the settings dialogue. You should not make a custom level unless you really know what you're doing.

http://www.tranexp.com/win/Jav......htm#MSIE7

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@ScottW: Java and Javascript are 2 totally different things.
Java is a cross platform language for software that can also be used in a browser plugin created by Sun Microsystems.
Javascript is a browser scripting language solely made for browsers that was invented by Netscape Communications.
Though Microsoft still isn't too fond of either. Microsoft made their own versions of each that are not completely compatible with the standard version.
Starting with Windows XP SP1a though the Microsoft Java is no longer included and the official Sun version can only be used.

Edit: Oddly enough I just found out from wikipedia that " "JavaScript" is a trademark of Sun Microsystems. "
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript
Even though Javascript is different from Java it got called JavaScript due to an odd branding agreement between Sun and Netscape.
It appears the reason for the different name in Internet Explorer is because Microsoft can't use the JavaScript as the name.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

jd, thanks for the expanded definitions. I was aware that Java and Javascript were not the same. The point I was trying to make is that I suspect that MS would not use the name "Javascript" because it's free publicity for Sun and the real Java. I also suspect that Sun wouldn't charge MS a cent to use the Javascript name in IE7, for example, because all of that free publicity would be worth so much.

Posted 6 years ago

Craziboy135

firefox worked

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

That's good. Thanks for letting us know

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

firefox is a great browser ;]

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

So, the solution is use Firefox? If IE7 won't do it, switch to Firefox. When Firefox won't do something, do we advise switching to Opera?

Look, I like and use Firefox. It's my preferred browser, but I see nothing wrong with IE7. It certainly can view videos in YouTube and all the other things that browsers need to do. I just don't like the sound of "if this perfectly reliable app doesn't work, use a different one". That's why we have Vista haters popping up every now and then. Did they really *try* to make Vista work before giving up?

Maybe the problem is that the Security zones in IE7 are too complicated for a casual user. Could that be it?

Reading back over my own post, it sounds kind of harsh. That's me venting my frustration, so you don't have to answer. I'm through ranting now. <sigh>

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@ScottW: I agree, I use Firefox but I think IE7 is a fine browser too and switching to Firefox is not the solution.
In this case though I don't think anyone said Firefox was the solution. The idea was more to test if the videos worked in it to make sure it wasn't a general browser problem.
It just somehow morphed into a solution at the end.

Posted 6 years ago

Q-Rious47

Um, guys? I'm sorry, but I'm pretty much an Idiot when it comes to the computer. Help? Could you please dumb it down a little bit? I have Mozilla Firefox, too. And I can't watch videos on YouTube, either. It keeps saying that I "have my javascript turned off or don't have the latest flash player." Then I tried installing the damned thing, and it says I can't install it unless I have the "Firefox Application" closed. Help? What should I do?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Welcome Q-Rious47,
This may be easy to solve, just please start a new thread of your own, this one is a year old.
Thanks for taking the time to search our forums though.

Closing...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.