(Solved) - I can't install Windows 8

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by megageektutorials
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 61906 times

whs

If this is for a SSD, you should add the alignmeent in CREATE - like this:

Create partition primary align=1024

And the ASSIGN command is not really required.

Posted 1 year ago

hawkinau

ok kool short cuts r good, next time Ill try that, thanx

Posted 1 year ago

medley56

I have tried this technique (following the commands for diskpart) on my new SSD but to no avail. I removed my linux drive as well, so Grub shouldn't be getting in the way. My primary boot drive is the SSD I am trying to install windows 8 on. And I am still getting this same error message. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may still be happening?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

@medley56: You need to start a new topic of your own since this one is solved, you may not get answers.

Posted 1 year ago

socer55

i had the same problem. if u are trying to boot from a usb flash drive, then before i tell u how i resolved my particular problem make sure ur boot priorty is set to your usb as first priority. I already installed windows 8 on the same hard dive before but later i deleted it because i was waiting for some reviews of windows 8 enterprise. Anyway after checking the reveiws i was going to reinstall it and then that phrase came up "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." So i found that if any other usb storage device was connected to your computer other than the drive with the windows 8 set up, that phrase would appear. so check ur usb ports for any other storage devices other than the one your using to install wondows and remove them. This was my solution and it worked for me . I hope this helps

Posted 1 year ago

episage

Hey, I've just found a solution to this message: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I am installing Windows 8 from bootable USB made by Unetbootin. A bit of tinkering:
1. When error appeared I pluged OUT usb drive and plugged in to another USB port.
2. I tried to create partition again but it failed with the same error.
3. I plugged it back to the previous USB port and tried to create partition.
4. It worked! Installer said that it will create additional partition "System reserved" and I was able to continue installation.

Posted 1 year ago

asciiker

All I needed to do was to make the partition Active with DiskPart, Windows 8 installed fine afterwards.

asciiker

Posted 1 year ago

eggheadbob

@episage

Your solution worked, I spent ages trying to get this damn OS to install.

Heres what I did:
1.use diskpart to clean windows 7 (use shift-f10) to get a cmd
2.mark linux part as inactive
3.refresh on gui
4.attept install
5.pull out usb and refresh
6.plug back in and refresh
7.install

pulling out the usb and refreshing seems to be the key thing here

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@eggheadbob, Thanks for posting back that the solution worked for you.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.