The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - I can't install Windows 8

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by megageektutorials
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 61906 times

megageektutorials

So I have been trying to install Windows 8 on an extra SATA drive with a Windows 8 Disc I burned my self. It works fine, I enter the product key, some info, and chose my drive I want to install it on. However, when I click the drive and then next, it gives me the "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" error. I tried following these steps: http://blogs.technet.com/b/asi.....-8-cp.aspx

But that didn't work. I am running Ubuntu 11.10 and formated the extra SATA drive (the one that I want Windows 8 on) with the Disk Utility as well as GParted and then created a partition. I'm starting to get mad and would like any help.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Gone !! :( :(

Posted 2 years ago

megageektutorials

What in the world? ^

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Set the Bios Sequence to boot from Second Drive.

Post Back

Gone Again !!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

If you set to boot from the second drive, how do you boot from the install disk??

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@Xhi,

Guessing OP has a large computer.

Guessing the computer like most has a Boot Sequence for HDs plus an Overall Boot Sequence.

OP has large Collection of HowTos uploaded on YouTube and should be knowledgeable.

Not sure why OP would format drive with Linux Ext and then try to install Windows System ???

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

megageektutorials

Looks like there was a misunderstanding. I have 2 SATA hard drives. One of them is My main one with Linux and the other one is blank and formatted to the NTFS format.
I took the .iso of Windows 8 and burnned it to a DVD, put it in the disc drive, rebooted. It said "to boot from removeble media, press any key" I pressed a key and it stared the windows 8 installation. It the stopped when it gave me the error in my original post no one seams to understand

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Start Command Prompt

Type In:

DISKPART

LIST DISK and identify your disk number (from 0 to n disks)

SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is the disk number

CLEAN ALL (Will Take Some Time)

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ALIGN=1024

FORMAT FS=NTFS (Will Take Some Time)

ASSIGN LETTER=M

ACTIVE

EXIT

EXIT

[ Immediately Terminate Install Process Completely ]

And

Reboot using Installation DVD.

Do NOT reformat during installation process

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

megageektutorials

Only thing is, I did that. That is the link in my post and I did what your telling me to do aswell

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Look CLOSELY at my Procedure Above.

Have Changed it to Zero and Full Format the Drive.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

My guess is your Grub is in the way. It is looking for a place to put the (rather large) Win8 BCD. Disconnect your first disk (the one with Linux) and try again. Then switch the systems with the BIOS boot order.

Posted 2 years ago

megageektutorials

Ok, I will try that. Also Raphoenix. The reason I chose disc 1 is because that is the disc Windows 8 can be installed on, It can't be installed on the other one since its running Linux and I sure don't want to format it with all my data on it.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Unless you have some kinda MB I'm not familiar with, the Chipset should have 4-6 Sata Ports.

In Bios Setup, there should be a Boot Priority Settings for the Machine HDDs.

Also there should be a Over All Device Boot Priority Setting.

Ensure the Windows HDD is set for #1 HDD Boot Priority and the Optical Drive (DVD)
is Set for #1 Overall Device Boot Priority.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

EDIT: Continue from above.

In fact just Disconnect the Linux HDD which will automatically put the Windows HDD as the only HDD available.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

megageektutorials

Well, I looks like removing the "normal" drive worked. My friend said maybe it thought it was a slave drive and wouldn't let me Install Windows 8 on it. Thanks for the help any ways.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

It has nothing to do with 'slave drive'. That does not exist in Sata. It was a conflict of the Linux (Grub) bootmgr and the Windows8 (UEFI) bootmgr. Even if you only have Windows 7 installed and no Linux, you can get that kind of conflict because the BCD of Windows 8 is too large to fit into the 100MB active partition of Windows 7.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

If OP follow my Diskpart, there is ONLY (1) Partition Available on the HDD so it will have to install there.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Right, if you propose a predefined active, primary partition to the installer, it will put the bootmgr with the system it installs and will not be looking for another active partition on a lower port disk.

This installation process for Win7 and Win8 is a bit screwed up because of this seperate system partition. A lot of people have difficulties with that. The classic is that you define e.g. a 100GB primary (not active) partition where you want to install Windows 8 - which usually needs about 12GB . Then the installer tells you that there is not enough disk space. People are obviously baffled. What that really means is that there is not enough space in the 100MB Win7 system partition to put the Win8 BCD. But there is no hint in the message that this is what they are talking about.

Reminds me the old days of MVT /370. The most curious message was:" This message should not occur" - full stop. LOL

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Yeah, That's why I force only (1) partition in my help tutorials because that small 100GB partition is NOT needed for anything.

I dual boot with the Bios instead of mess with BCDEdit commands.

"THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER" (LOL) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

hawkinau

Thanks raphoenix I followed the instructions but also removed one of my drives, started the installation, when the drive window came up I had Disk0 Unallocated, clicked next and off it went installing.
Your step by step instructions were good but for those who have never used dos or the command window before this is a little more precise.

You try to install Windows 8 (CP), and encountered the following error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

Resolution:

Try to following methods:

1)Check if you have an SD Card in the system. If you do, you remove it and run setup again ( you may have to remove a drive if u have more than one drive)

2) Once the setup fails to find the partition, just close the setup window (the top-right-hand side red X does the job).

From that point, you should be brought back at the initial setup screen.Choose "Repair" then go to the advanced tools and start the command line.

Type Start DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK and identify your SSD disk number (from 0 to n disks).

Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your SSD disk number.

Once u have selected the disk you have to type the selected disk in front of each command ie "DISK 0 CLEAN, DISK 0 CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY " etc.

Type CLEAN

Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

Type ACTIVE

Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

Type ASSIGN

Type EXIT twice ( U end up with two command boxes) one EXIT to get out of DiskPart, the other EXIT to get out of the command line tool)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.